Paint repair...

txturbogs

Established Member
Hey there. I got my Shelby down in Mexico. One of the few down here. Anyway, I drove it back for 1500 miles and I had some. Paint damage from rocks. I hate it!! Can anyone recommend a proper course of action? I could paint it all, and put that 3M coat, but I cannot find a decent body shop locally that would not screw my car up. I had some paint repair on my Limited f-150 and the dealership messed it up.

Anyway, any ideas are welcome.

Copper&Black

Established Member
Ughh, Drive her back to the states, paint it, allow it time to properly cure, then clear bra it, then drive it back down.
If Mexico is anything like Colombia where I lived the fine art of body work is lost in the translation into spanish. They think if it's near the same color and semi smooth it's good to go, and on a GT500 that is not the case...

rancid

Established Member
My car has 160 miles on it and 3 rock chips on the front bumper :fm:

I plan on buying Dr Paintchip repair kit and see how it does. I've heard a lot of great things with the kits and the paint is a direct match in all the cases I've read thus far. Another option is to buy touch-up paint from a dealership and use something like Langka the blob remover. I've used Langka before and my results were always great if I didn't rush the job and put two coats of paint.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I use factory touch up and a small detail brush with Langka for good results. I usually apply several coats to build it up and then Langka an hour later. I am going to try the glove/smear method like the Dr Colorchip demo video next time. I suspect it works best for smaller chips though. Sometimes I incorporate clear coat into the process.

Imatk

Established Member
I use factory touch up and a small detail brush with Langka for good results. I usually apply several coats to build it up and then Langka an hour later. I am going to try the glove/smear method like the Dr Colorchip demo video next time. I suspect it works best for smaller chips though. Sometimes I incorporate clear coat into the process.

The smear works well as long as it's not a metallic.

Metallic in general is a PITA to get to look correct though.

txturbogs

Established Member
no

No, the car is not int he States. It is in Mexico in what used to be murder capital of the world and kidnapping territory, Juarez which is next to El Paso, TX. LOL...yeah, nuts I know. Anyway, I can't go into the states cause of my Visa, which sucks. I had my 2010 Shelby painted Statside and they messed it up, so painted in the US does not necesarily mean good job. Either way, it is about 8 rock chips that require attention. Anal? Yes, very much.

The car was $67,000 USD cash with $4500 for one year insurance, full replacement if stolen or totaled with a 10% premium. Owning a car like this over here is not only nuts, it is expensive. I do not get PP or TP or Elctronic, or any of the good stuff you get over there.

Anywa, I am very happy with it.

Thanks for the replied.

Users who are viewing this thread