Paint protection

pghpp74

Established Member
I have a redfire 2003 Cobra and would like to keep the paint looking like new. Although it is in the garage most of the time I am looking for a paint treatment that would help prevent bugs from sticking and staining. I have read about Ultima Paint Guard Plus and the previous owner was using Zaino Clear. Has anyone used these products or could recommend something to protect the paint.

03cobra500+rwhp

Established Member
Both of those can be somewhat of a pain to apply and streak if not applied just right. If it is going to sit in the garage most of the time I would suggest using a wax, easy to use and provides a better shine depth over a sealant. If you have your heart set on a sealant Blackfire Wet Diamond is very user friendly.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Like said above, going with a good sealant or wax would probably do what you are after.

Value for money wise, meguiars NXT wax (actually a sealant) works really well. With whichever you choose, put on 3 coats or so and bugs should come off pretty easy.

03cobra500+rwhp

Established Member
Like said above, going with a good sealant or wax would probably do what you are after.

Value for money wise, meguiars NXT wax (actually a sealant) works really well. With whichever you choose, put on 3 coats or so and bugs should come off pretty easy.

No need to put three coats on, after the second coat of a wax without a cleaner it adds no benefit. Any wax with a cleaner in it like NXT 2.0 you will only remove the last coat put on so you will basically be left with one coat. With a sealant anything over two coats and you start to remove the last coat so no more than two coats and you will be fine.

LSUstang05

Established Member
:??: I use the Ultima Paint Guard Plus and it's pretty easy to apply. If you read the directions and do exactly what they say to do, it wont streak at all and will dry perfectly. I followed mine up with some Danase Wet Glaze and layered it a few times and then finished with UPG+ on top and then with Zaino Z8 as the very final step and it came out absolutely fantastic. Probably the "wettest" combo I've seen and pretty easy to apply.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
No need to put three coats on, after the second coat of a wax without a cleaner it adds no benefit. Any wax with a cleaner in it like NXT 2.0 you will only remove the last coat put on so you will basically be left with one coat. With a sealant anything over two coats and you start to remove the last coat so no more than two coats and you will be fine.

You're right, it was late when I posted. :rolling: What I was thinking was I usually do 2 coats of the sealant. Then topcoat that with a regular wax.

:??: I use the Ultima Paint Guard Plus and it's pretty easy to apply. If you read the directions and do exactly what they say to do, it wont streak at all and will dry perfectly. I followed mine up with some Danase Wet Glaze and layered it a few times and then finished with UPG+ on top and then with Zaino Z8 as the very final step and it came out absolutely fantastic. Probably the "wettest" combo I've seen and pretty easy to apply.

I never said the paint guard plus system was hard to apply, I was just agreeing that a good sealant would be the route I would take. :beer:

pghpp74

Established Member
Thanks for the ideas. I just bought the Blackfire wet diamond shine kit. With a 10 month old I don't have the time for multiple waxings. I need to be one or two and done.

dom418

Established Member
The best advice I can give to avoid bug etching is to get a good instant spray detailer and microfiber cloth and just wipe the bumper down after every drive before the car will be parked for the day. As long as their is a good coat of wax on your car you will never have any bug etching in your clearcoat.

You can always get the 3M clear bra but it is expensive and too me looks wose than any damage the bugs or rocks may cause.

03DOHC

Established Member
Thanks for the ideas. I just bought the Blackfire wet diamond shine kit. With a 10 month old I don't have the time for multiple waxings. I need to be one or two and done.
That's why I use Klasse AIO. There is no multiple anything needed. One and you're done for months but you went your own way. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread