Paint on the upper intake?

Blown01GT

Established Member
Is there a silver paint I can buy to touch up the upper intake on my 01 Cobra motor? Its all brown and simple green and stuff doesnt change it. Just wondering.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
the upper intake is probably just bare aluminum (it is on mine). i would take it off and sand it down and either polish it or paint it.

Blown01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Black98COBRA
the upper intake is probably just bare aluminum (it is on mine). i would take it off and sand it down and either polish it or paint it.
Im pretty sure its a paint, it appears to be chipping near the injector ports.

TxSnakeCharmer

Established Member
It is aluminum with a clear coat. Not a big deal. As mentioned just clean it up, sand down the loose, chipped or cracked stuff and prime and paint with a high temp paint. That's what I did on mine a couple years ago and it looks as good today as the day I did it.

b_int012.jpg

Blown01GT

Established Member
Did you do it when it was on the car? Whered you get the paint and primer? I wonder what color I should paint it. I kinda like that black.

Also my blue inside the snake is coming off so Id like to touch that up too.

Last edited:

TxSnakeCharmer

Established Member
The entire upper and lower intake was removed at the time and that is when I painted it. It isnt practical to paint when installed. Easy enough to remove just the upper intake, it's just a lid. The paint is from local auto store. High temp ceramic primer, paint and clearcoat. $for about $10 and an one hour that's what you get.

Originally posted by Blown01GT
Did you do it when it was on the car? Whered you get the paint and primer? I wonder what color I should paint it. I kinda like that black.

Also my blue inside the snake is coming off so Id like to touch that up too.

Blown01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by TxSnakeCharmer
The entire upper and lower intake was removed at the time and that is when I painted it. It isnt practical to paint when installed. Easy enough to remove just the upper intake, it's just a lid. The paint is from local auto store. High temp ceramic primer, paint and clearcoat. $for about $10 and an one hour that's what you get.
Did you paint anything else black?

Looks good and I have a black car but I dont want it to look out of place under the hood.

Any pics of it?

If I wanted it to look like stock again could I just sand it down then clearcoat it?

Last edited:

Blown01GT

Established Member
After I primed it, it appears I can just clearcoat that and it will look like it did stock.

Im gonna hit it with another little bit of primer then black though to see what it looks like.

Blown01GT

Established Member
Well heres how it turned out.

4v3.jpg

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

done.jpg

By the way I just used regular dupli-color paint because I couldnt find the high temp stuff, you think itll matter?

If it does its easy enough that I could do again though.

Also, did you do the entire intake or just the upper?

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Where your EGR comes in it might blister if you did not use High temp. But it might be safe. Most paint is good to around 200-250 degrees before it distorts. Looks good.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Blown01GT
It's kind of hard to tell ... what Dupli-Color Paint color did you use?

plen31.jpg

Dan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread