Paint Guru's Please

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
A couple weeks ago I hit a piece of fiberglass lying on the road that was picked up by a truck and hurled at my car. Ouch tore through the front plastic and if that wasn't enough wrapped around and smacked into the door leaving a less than desirable gouge.

I took it to the Ford dealer 1300.00 and a week later I have it back. BTW less than 1 mile added to the odometer, made the service advisor write the mileage on the sheet and we both signed it. :)

I feel like they did a pretty good job, they did however leave some swirl marks. My question is: It has been about 4 days since the paint can I start working on getting the swirl marks out by hand with some swirl remover without possibly damaging the paint, sorry novice paint dude here :)

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Whenever a car is painted by someone other than the factory, the paint takes 2 to 3 months to cure.

Click me to learn more

So I might wait a few more weeks before doing anything to that area. Most scratch removers are pretty abrasive.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I dented the rear qtr. panel of my GT a year ago, the Ford bodyshop I took it to, told me to wait at least 30 days before putting anything on the paint, or else I'd screw the paint up.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
When I had my hood repainted for the orange peel fiasco, they told me to wait at least 30 days after their paint session before I did any work to it myself, ie swirl marks they left behind.

:beer:

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Good answers thank you all, I will live with them till the paint is cured then.

:thumbsup:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'd wait at least 45 days. If you don't let the paint cure fully, it may peel sometime later on.

Users who are viewing this thread