paint flaws

huggytree

Established Member
finally spent a full afternoon detailing the new car....did multiple coats of Zaino

noticed a large drip coming off the rear wheel well....shocking how it made it through QA with this.....im not that fussy and dont care, but its like the drip dried just before it fell off the car..

also finger prints on the stripe on the trunk.....it appears to be in the clear coat...i can see 4 fingers like they were closing the trunk....i spent time trying to get it off and its really in there....is there clear coat on the stripes?

Z2 didnt do much for the paint, but Z5 Really deepened/darkened the colors......all the microscratches are covered up.....

every car has its flaws....its no biggie, just wondering if anyone else noticed 'things' on their paint?

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
If you look up the other paint flaw threads, you'll find most of us have had an issue or two.

Some of us, such as myself, have more than a couple flaws in the paint, but oh well.

I didn't buy the car for flawless 100K+ paintjobs.

*which isn't to say I expected garbage either*

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I have drips on the upper edge of of my foglight opening. It can't be seen unless it's on a lift. Also, I don't think there is any clearcoat over the stripes.

Kapy

Established Member
finally spent a full afternoon detailing the new car....did multiple coats of Zaino

noticed a large drip coming off the rear wheel well....shocking how it made it through QA with this.....im not that fussy and dont care, but its like the drip dried just before it fell off the car..

also finger prints on the stripe on the trunk.....it appears to be in the clear coat...i can see 4 fingers like they were closing the trunk....i spent time trying to get it off and its really in there....is there clear coat on the stripes?

Z2 didnt do much for the paint, but Z5 Really deepened/darkened the colors......all the microscratches are covered up.....

every car has its flaws....its no biggie, just wondering if anyone else noticed 'things' on their paint?
Huggy,

Believe me you are not alone here.

I have so many flaws in my paint job and of course it is black so it just makes everything stick that much more.

I was actually in a very good body shop the other day and am planning to bring the car there to see what they can do. I have called Ford but I am not going to have a run of the mill collision center try to repair or make better.

The shop I have visited restores exotics. Kind of made me feel like I was not the only one when I showed up because their lot was literally filled with Ferrari's and Porsche's. So I know I am in pretty good hands.

I have flaws up on my driver side roof area, trash in the paint in multiple areas and squiggly marks under each tailight area in the exact same spots on each side that clearly represent where the bumper cover layed on a rack or when they were stacked together at the factory. None the less they obviously painted over the blemishes.

Your not alone my friend.

Bugs the you know what out of me let me tell ya.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
How many coats of Zaino are you putting on? Couple coats of Z2 and Z5? I will be doing mine shortly.

Kapy

Established Member
If you look up the other paint flaw threads, you'll find most of us have had an issue or two.

Some of us, such as myself, have more than a couple flaws in the paint, but oh well.

I didn't buy the car for flawless 100K+ paintjobs.

*which isn't to say I expected garbage either*

Same here Mach.

I don't expect perfection, but some of these flaws are just downright ridiculous and should have never left the factory through the Q.C. process.

I work for another manufacturer that would never allow the type of paint flaws I have to ever leave the factory until it was addressed properly.

But, oh well. It is what it is, just got to look into what can be done.

I still love the car though. My last G.T. I owned had flaws as well but not this bad.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/923638-anyone-else-have-paint-defect.html and there is one for cleaning the pp rims to, just search or I guess maybe make a huggy tree thread and put all in it to save some band width, I thought it was a bit harsh when the one guy said enjoy your car or just make 10 new threads but I guess he was on target. It is all in here just search. or just make 10 more threads sorry I guess I am lucky my car seems perfect no defects no worries I enjoy it.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member

No clear coat on the stripes. Probably just oils from your fingers making the satin stripes look shiney. I get in on the hood stripes sometimes.

I'm pretty picky and have not found any flaws in my black paint.

Last edited:

1971mach1

Established Member
I am also very picky with my paint and my Black car came from factory with very clean nice paint. Mine only complaint is it seems the paint is rather thin and chips easy. I have a few chips down in the rocker area behind front tires.

RRDave

Established Member

I was very impressed with the paint on my 2013-no defects found. I wasn't expecting that kind of quality control.
Z5 worked great on the swirls that came with my wifes black car but Z2 is what I use normally and looks good enough for me on my other cars.

huggytree

Established Member
How many coats of Zaino are you putting on? Couple coats of Z2 and Z5? I will be doing mine shortly.

the z2 really seals things in....i used it for the first coat w/ the eyedrop blue stuff....then i used the Z5....the z5 is hard to get off and wipe clean...it leaves smear marks....i was afraid to put another coat of z2 over it since i thought it would lock in those smears for months....i will wash the car again next week and then add a coat or two of Z2

Z5 seems to have a bit of cleaning power...it hides scratches some, but also seems to be able to buff some scratches out

those finger prints im talking about are perminantly in the stripe....ive spent time trying to buff/clean them off.....maybe someone had chemicals on their hands and closed the trunk....they are really in there

i thought the stripes were painted on vinyl?? if so they will have a clear coat of some kid

RRDave

Established Member
the z2 really seals things in....i used it for the first coat w/ the eyedrop blue stuff....then i used the Z5....the z5 is hard to get off and wipe clean...it leaves smear marks....i was afraid to put another coat of z2 over it since i thought it would lock in those smears for months....i will wash the car again next week and then add a coat or two of Z2

Z5 seems to have a bit of cleaning power...it hides scratches some, but also seems to be able to buff some scratches out

those finger prints im talking about are perminantly in the stripe....ive spent time trying to buff/clean them off.....maybe someone had chemicals on their hands and closed the trunk....they are really in there

i thought the stripes were painted on vinyl?? if so they will have a clear coat of some kid
I don't believe the Z5 has any abrasive but there are some Zaino products that do like AIO. Send Sal Zaino an email to ask about the fingerprints...he responds quickly.

huggytree

Established Member
maybe the z5 just fills in the scratches more and more when you rub it over and over for 3-5 minutes straight....it sure seems to buff out minor marks, but its most likely just filling them i guess

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Huggy, you are high maintenance on the the Challenger forums over your IE SRT8, don't bring that here too. I knew it was just a matter of time for you to start this nonsense over here.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Not happy with mine so its being completely redone. All the factory stuff off, custom paint, stripes & a ton of quality clearcoat be added.

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
DSC00362_zpsf00b28db.jpg
Fixing mine..

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Thanks Kapy. This is after 3 coats of clear. Will be watersanded & 3 more added. Car was completely removed of all trim so theres no tape lines. This GT 500 logo I had duplicated from a picture at a screenprint shop to make a stencil. The logo is all paint also & came out perfect. The stripes will be invisible to the touch after sanded again & buffed.
DSC00354_zpsbb4beaac.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread