Paint Correction On My Black 01

Steve1578

Established Member
I recently purchased the PC 7424XP from CG, and after one pass on the driver side quarter panel, I'm very impressed! I only have the one pic so far, but I'll be taking a lot along the way. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Product used was megs ultimate compound. I don't think it's their heaviest but it did the job! Used the orange CG cutting pad. I'll update the pics over the next course of the next few days as I get to work on it.
96890e13f31ad58288646b57e1f40141.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jdcobra

Established Member
I recently purchased the PC 7424XP from GC, and after one pass on the driver side quarter panel, I'm very impressed! I only have the one pic so far, but I'll be taking a lot along the way. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Product used was megs ultimate compound. I don't think it's their heaviest but it did the job! Used the orange GC cutting pad. I'll update the pics over the next course of the next few days as I get to work on it.
96890e13f31ad58288646b57e1f40141.jpg

:cheers: looks good man

Steve1578

Established Member

Steve1578

Established Member
Okay detail gods, I'm getting a lot of dust from the cutting pad. I've cleaned it after every panel, and sprayed some conditioner on it if I let it sit for more than hour without compound on it. Too much pressure? Too much product? Or is this normal?

jdcobra

Established Member
Okay detail gods, I'm getting a lot of dust from the cutting pad. I've cleaned it after every panel, and sprayed some conditioner on it if I let it sit for more than hour without compound on it. Too much pressure? Too much product? Or is this normal?

Stupid question but you did clay before hand correct? Also mark the yellow part of the backing plate with a permanent marker so you can tell if you're using too much pressure. If you are, you won't see the mark rotating, instead it will do more of a vibrating motion instead.

Steve1578

Established Member
Stupid question but you did clay before hand correct? Also mark the yellow part of the backing plate with a permanent marker so you can tell if you're using too much pressure. If you are, you won't see the mark rotating, instead it will do more of a vibrating motion instead.

No dumb question! I did clay it. Thanks for the tip on the backing plate.

Here's a pic of what I'm getting.
28651c287ab3e53ef91c90b410c6fb11.jpg
81b8eab42797fe9ace7d1e8ed08763ca.jpg

jdcobra

Established Member
I'd say lighten up the pressure maybe? I've honestly never seen that before

Steve1578

Established Member
It seems that I get it more at the end. Thinking I might be going too long, but I've been waiting until it's dissipated well enough to be a clear haze. I just marked the backing plate so I'll see if the pressure I've been using is too much.

Steve1578

Established Member
Still getting it. Not sure what the issue is. Tried using less pressure. The mark does look like its rotating not just vibrating.

jdcobra

Established Member
Still getting it. Not sure what the issue is. Tried using less pressure. The mark does look like its rotating not just vibrating.

Is the machine getting hot?

Steve1578

Established Member
I tried the blue pad and applied some finishing polish to an area that was corrected pretty well and I got some dusting from that as well. Wondering if there's something wrong with the machine. Funny thing is I'm getting good results.

bigmoose

Established Member
Are the pads new? I get that if i don't clean my pads well. The old dry compound works its way out of the pad.

Steve1578

Established Member
Are the pads new? I get that if i don't clean my pads well. The old dry compound works its way out of the pad.

They're brand new, but I'm new to using a DA and may have put too much compound on and didn't clean them throughly enough. I just cleaned them with warm water and will see if it still shows up tomorrow.

oldmodman

Established Member
What compound are you using?/ Some just dust like a mother****er and there is "almost" nothing you can do about it.

I bought a quart of Meguiar's 105 when it first came out and it dusted like crazy. To help cut the dust I added a few drops of Baby Oil to the bottle. I kept adding a few drops at a time until it stopped dusting. At the same time it really increased the working time. Just keep in mind that you now have a slightly oily surface after you wipe it off. Not a problem if you are going to a second stage and/or directly to a wax.
But if you are going to go to a ceramic coating you need to wipe the surface down with something to remove every trace of oil.
I prefer to use Eraser. You can also use diluted isopropyl alcohol.

motoo344

Established Member
I second that some compounds just dust like crazy, as long as you are getting the desired result don't worry about the dust.

hoamskilet

Established Member
What compound are you using?/ Some just dust like a mother****er and there is "almost" nothing you can do about it.

I bought a quart of Meguiar's 105 when it first came out and it dusted like crazy. To help cut the dust I added a few drops of Baby Oil to the bottle. I kept adding a few drops at a time until it stopped dusting. At the same time it really increased the working time. Just keep in mind that you now have a slightly oily surface after you wipe it off. Not a problem if you are going to a second stage and/or directly to a wax.
But if you are going to go to a ceramic coating you need to wipe the surface down with something to remove every trace of oil.
I prefer to use Eraser. You can also use diluted isopropyl alcohol.
This. some products like to dust up if you use too much product or over work it as well. I've also got a pad brush I use regularly as I'm working to help clean caked up product off the pad as I go that helps with the dusting.

Users who are viewing this thread