Painkiller 3,000x more powerful found in Puffer Fish

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
Painkiller 3,000x more powerful than morphine found in Puffer Fish

Scientists may have found a drug that is 3000 times more powerful than morphine, but with absolutely no addictive traits whatsoever.

If this drug gets through further testing, and trials, and passes, this could revolutionize the physical therapy and recovery of patients from broken bones, torn ligaments, and such, even help keep old people active after a fall from breaking a hip, or other bone.

News

Puffer could help ease pain | Practical Fishkeeping magazine

One of the deadliest creatures in the world may be used to ease the pain of cancer patients.

The puffer fish produces a poison that can kill a man within hours. But Chinese scientists have managed to isolate an active ingredient of the poison, tetrodotoxin, without its deadly effects.

The result is 3000 times stronger than morphine.

It can work to ease pain for between eight and 21 days and, unlike morphine, is non-addictive and has no known side effects.

One fish can produce 600 doses of the drug, which attacks the nerve cells that send pain signals to the brain instead of numbing the senses.

The drug, to be known as Tectin, was developed by Vancouver-based International Wex Technologies after scientists in China noticed the toxin's potential as a painkiller when used to help heroin addicts through withdrawal.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
and just why are you posting 6 year old news articles? this is very old news

Scientists may have found a drug that is 3000 times more powerful than morphine, but with absolutely no addictive traits whatsoever.

If this drug gets through further testing, and trials, and passes, this could revolutionize the physical therapy and recovery of patients from broken bones, torn ligaments, and such, even help keep old people active after a fall from breaking a hip, or other bone.

News

Puffer could help ease pain | Practical Fishkeeping magazine

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
crap i didn't even see the date. someone at school was telling me about this and thought I'd post it up, but you're right it is technically old news.

pharmd2010

Established Member
Pretty crazy stuff. I wonder what happened with it. Its been 6 years and haven't heard anything more about it...

Indeed it is old news, but hopefully this will develop into something good. I have actually been researching this particular toxin (tetrodotoxin) for the last few weeks for my presentation I have to do on it in my Ethnopharmacology class next Monday. Although it could help relieve pain it would still be a VERY dangerous drug and I do not foresee it ever being something that is dispensed in an outpatient setting. It will more than likely be in hospitals or environments where heart/respiratory rate can be monitored constantly, IF it is ever marketed. It's a LONG shot. Almost every drug can be traced back to a natural source so I guess it is possible, but it will be a while before we use sodium channel blockers (the mechanism of action for this toxin) for pain relief.

pharmd2010

Established Member
The scarier part is chinese scientists found it.

Actually, a lot of different countries have known about this compound for MANY years, including the US. It has been traced back to the 1700's and according to some references some historians believe the Egyptians have documentation referring to this toxin and pufferfish poisoning. If I remember correctly, I believe it was actually a Japanese chemist who first synthesized the compound back in the 60's or 70's. The US stocked a pretty large supply back in the 70's or 80's (don't quote me on exact dates) in preparation of having a biochemical weapon should warfare break out. Obviously, since new laws and ordinances have been put in place since then the US has destroyed it's supply of tetrodotoxin. But my biggest concern is that one of these crazy US hating countries can use this as a weapon. It is effective by inhalation and would be much more effective than nerve gas or any of the other organophosphates that could be used as biochemical weapons. Interesting stuff... :rockon: Dang, I'm such a nerd... :read:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrodotoxin]Tetrodotoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

A little background on the compound. I know wikipedia isn't a very good reference, but I have done extensive research on this compound and almost all of what is on wikipedia is factual information. Enjoy.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
crap i didn't even see the date. someone at school was telling me about this and thought I'd post it up, but you're right it is technically old news.

just think, you were about to make people with hip fractures and other broken bones recover much faster:lol1::lol1:

the pain is there for a reason and it is a good thing. it prevents patients from doing too much and breaking apart what i just spent hours fixing.

stay in school

Users who are viewing this thread