Paging Cobra03..Your Da Man, need help

blucobra03

Established Member
My 03 Cobra will be ready for its first oil change this weekend. I was leaning toward the Amsoil 5w-20w 7500 series until I read that in order to achieve API certification, Amsoil lowered their basestock for this oil to a Grade III. Then because of a Mobil 1 and Castrol lawsuit, they were declared as synthetics. Sounds more like politics than science to me. They actually tell you that the 7500 5w-20 oil is only good for 7500 miles unlike the better oils in the grade IV or V category which are good for 25000 miles. So in reality, the "good" based oil is not available in the 5w-20 weight that we need for our Cobras per the warranty. So where does that leave us. Amsoil doen't have a true full synthetic 5w-20 oil for our cars. I couln't find one on the Mobil 1 site either. Royal purple on the other hand does have full synthetic oil called Racing 11, that is the same viscosity of a 5w-20 oil and is supposed to increase horsepower and fuel mileage. I've run it in my 96 GT for years with no complaints. So anyway, Cobra03, where can I get a top notch 5w-20 fully synthetic oil that is good. I want to stay with the 5w-20 and not move up to the 5w-30 as has been previously talked. I appreciate your hashing this over again with me but I think everyone needs to learn that the Amsoil 5w-20 is the low end of synthetic oils and if the law hadn't changed, it wouldn't even be a synthetic oil the way I see it. Thanks for your patience with us old farts.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Just for the record, I am Cobra'03 - there is also a Cobra03 on this Forum.

Anyway, your search is ended. Red Line makes a 5w20 Group V synoil. Not the race stuff, mind you, but a real street formula 5w20. I do not think it is displayed on the wensite, but I have case in my garage, so I am positive it exists.

I still maintain you do not need to use an 5w20, as an 0w30 from Mobil or Amsoil performs as well or better, and they could never tell the difference. Nor could they with a 5w30 synoil - the reason is that viscosity changes in a mineral oil fast, and becomes a 30 weight pretty quick. I have never had a oil analysis done where they said - this is a synthetic, this is a blend, this is mineral, this is hydrocracked, etc.

But if you must use a 5w20, I absolutely agree that the Red Line is the best choice. I used it in my Acura TL-S.

Regarding "racing oils" - I cannot (and will not) speak for RP, but the major oil companies formulate racing oils differently than street oils. They are made to be more resistant to fuel dilution from gas or nitro, have different additives, etc. They generally should not be used with street engines, which encounter far different use challenges.

Last edited:

blucobra03

Established Member
Sorry about the ID Cobra'03. With as many of us on here with similar user names, it pays to look real careful. I appreciate the feedback on the Red Line 5w-20 oil. Do you happen to know what there website is by any chance ? Even if they don't have it listed, they will probably have a phone number. Also, have they been around for a while ? Just want to make sure they will be here for all my oil changes into the distant future. I plan on keeping this car for a long time. By the way, you said you used the Red Line in your Acura. What are you using in your Cobra ? I would have gotten back to you sooner but I was at the International Boat Show in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. That was an awesome bunch of boats/yachts there. Back to the real world now though. Anyway, thanks again for getting back to me. HAve a great rest of the weekend. :beer:

Cobra'03

Established Member
As I said in previous posts, Amsoil Series 2000 0w30.

Red Line? They have been around for many years - many racing teams use it, it is the oil sponsor for some racing series, etc. I had a paddock pass at Lime Rockonce and saw one team pouring RL into the engine of a car with Valvoline painted all over it!

Users who are viewing this thread