Page cannot be displayed...Help!

Venomized281

Established Member
So, I finally got the laptop to be internet capable. Signal strength's strong. Speed's at "54 Mbps." Problem is that when I try to view any website, the page cannot be displayed. Any ideas as to what's up?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

GH1086

Established Member
Venomized281 said:
So, I finally got the laptop to be internet capable. Signal strength's strong. Speed's at "54 Mbps." Problem is that when I try to go on some website, the page cannot be displayed. Any ideas as to what's up?

Thanks in advance...

Is the router set-up properly?

Venomized281

Established Member
Well, I'm currently on a desktop computer which is using the router to connect, so yeah. Unless, I'm doing something wrong... :poke:

Last edited:

Venomized281

Established Member
The laptop is wireless, yes. It's just a regular, Dell laptop that has a wireless-G card plugged into the side.

I'm not real savvy when it comes to routers. All I know is that the cable's connected to it along with the ethernet cable plugged in and some other cable that's plugged in which are plugged into the desktop PC.

Last edited:

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
First Try to ping your router.
1. Click Start
2. Run
3. Type cmd and hit enter
4. Type ping 192.168.1.1 then hit enter.
5. If successful try to ping an external site like yahoo.com just type (ping www.yahoo.com) if this is successful one of the settings in Internet explorer needs to be changed.

You can also check your proxy setting in Internet Explorer.
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click Tools then Internet Options
3. Click connections tab
4. Click Lan Settings
5. Uncheck automatically detect settings
6. Make sure that the "use a proxy server for your lan is unchecked"

Please let me know if this helped if not I can give you some more Ideas :)

T.Bone

Established Member
Sounds like you are not getting an IP address from your router. While you are at the command prompt, type ipconfig and see what settings you have. You should have something like 192.168.X.X depending on the router you are using it, some are different but most start with 192.168

If you are using WEP on your router make sure you entered it properly on your laptop, just because you have a good signal strength does not mean you are authnicated to the wireless access point.

Hope this helps.

Venomized281

Established Member
I, somehow, got the connection to work. I changed some settings on the laptop to the ones that are on the desktop and it worked. Then I installed some anti-virus/anti-spyware software (ZoneAlarm) and had to restart. Once I restarted, it does the same thing. I can't view any websites. I checked the status of the wireless connection and there are zero (0) packets being received. They're being sent out, though. Any ideas?

Venomized281

Established Member
I viewed a window under Linksys and it shows the wireless-G card communicating with the router, but the router isn't communicating with the internet. Any ideas?

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
Venomized281 said:
I viewed a window under Linksys and it shows the wireless-G card communicating with the router, but the router isn't communicating with the internet. Any ideas?

If the computer hooked up to the router is getting to the internet you know that the router is communicating with the internet. Try to set a static IP address on your Laptop.

1. right click my network places then properties
2. Right click on wireless connection and then properties.
3. Click on TCP/IP Setting
4. Then click properties
5. Change from Automatically and enter
IP Adress 192.168.1.50
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS Server put 192.168.1.1

Click oKay then try again. Send me a PM if you are still having trouble. :thumbsup:

T.Bone

Established Member
I would check the settings of Zone Alarm, you said you got it to work and then you installed Zone Alarm and it stopped. You may have clicked on a warning message from Zone Alarm that is blocking the traffic from coming back in.

Make sure Zone Alarm is not blocking traffic on port 80.

Lethal SVT97

BLUEVNM
Established Member
Did you try to set up your security. It should be on MEDIUM. This happened to me few months ago. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread