Paddle Shifter

ArkangelX3

Established Member
Can Someone post some pics, and how exactly it works. Not really familiar with it, and its "rumored" or at least people wanted it to be on the "new" mustang. Thanks:shrug:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I had a 2000 Celica GTS that has a paddle style shifter and trust me it sounds nice but you don't want it. That style was mated to an AODE and was engaged by "slapping" the shifter towards the driver. There were 2 buttons on the front an back of the steering wheel. Front side upshift, back side downshift. Since you're relying on a digital signal being converted to a mechanical input there was a huge delay in transmission action. I.E. it was slower than leaving it in overdrive although taking it to redline was kind of cool. ;-)

larryc7777

Established Member
If by "paddle shifter" the rumors are referring to a Sequential Manual Gearbox( like the BMW M3 has ), then I've read reviews that say it's really slick.
The BMW unit uses the exact same 6 speed transmission as the "normal" BMWs, but the SMG has electrohydraulic servos to operate the clutch and shift levers....all under the control of a sophisticated computer. It has 5 levels of "full automatic" shift(gramma to gonzo) and 6 levels of full manual control. The #6 manual position delivers a shift in .08 seconds. That's faster than a really good powershift.

If you can get your hands on the August 2002 Moter Trend, it has a really good article on the BMW SMG
or
do an internet search for "SMG II".

derryck

Established Member
Don't be fooled though... the 'paddle shifter' that's in many cars (ie. Celica, IS 300, Acura TL/CL, etc.) is just an automatic w/ shift buttons. The BMW SMGII (seguential multi gearbox) that is in the E46 M3 is a different animal... as are the ones you'll find on other higher end cars (Porsche, Ferrari, etc.). The SMGII is just simply awesome from a race standpoint but takes some serious getting accustomed to in normal driving. The car will shift based on the program you're running (new M3 has six programs) and how aggressively you're applying throttle. It can be a very jerky ride... especially under anything other than hard acceleration.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw the paddle shifter reference in (I think) AutoWeek. It is definitely rumored to be coming on the '04 Mustang. I rather doubt we'll see it produced in a form like that found on a high-end exotic because of the cost involved. Ford isn't about to push the Cobra or any Mustang into Corvette/Viper price territory. It's a car for the masses, so development cost is going to be a factor. Time will tell as far as what gets approved and what doesn't.

highmiles

Established Member
I found the statement about F1 race cars amazing,
shift 1st to 7th and back to 1st in less than 0.2 sec

That is just plain incredible.

satx

Banned
actually the F1 style gear box would probably only be offered in the cobra......more than likely as an option that would cost a couple grand. The reason that this is feasable is due to the fact that ford already has one developed and it is in use (aston martin vantage). Therefore the main cost component has been taken care of. I highly dought ford would put an "autostick" ala chrysler into the cobra. Think of the F1 gearbox as a manual with the shifter mounted at the fingertips on the steering wheel (on each side, one for upshifts the other for downshifts) that does not require you to push in a clutch.....very slick.

Users who are viewing this thread