PA Cops Step in! "LEOS ONLY"

ModularFan

Established Member
At approximately between the hours of 9:00 pm to about 6:00am My vehicle was broken into. I was awoken up by my mother because my neighbor had come over to my house alerting my mother that my hazard lights were on, Now bare in mind I have had some electrical problems with my car in the past, so i figured that's all it was. As I approached my vehicle even further I noticed the inside of my car was ransacked shit all over, someone had apparently broken into my car, My glove compartment was open and there was stuff all over my vehicle, just things thrown around.

Mind you did lock my vehicle, I know for sure i did, so they some how broke into my car, my mother didn't hear my car alarm go off neither did my neighbor apparently, so they some how got into my vehicle with either a clothes hanger, or something else that you could unlock your vehicle with. they left no evidence behind but a mess in my vehicle.

My question now is if i would have caught this individual or individuals since it is in fact legal to carry a weapon in the state of pa, would i have legal grounds to put a bullet into this person, notice i said "if i were have caught them in act", Doe's a vehicle still follow under the castle law in PA? just curious?

Last edited:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
At approximately between the hours of 9:00 pm to about 6:00am My vehicle was broken into. I was awoken up by my mother because my neighbor had come over to my house alerting my mother that my hazard lights were on, Now bare in mind I have had some electrical problems with my car in the past, so i figured that's all it was. As I approached my vehicle even further I noticed the inside of my car was ransacked shit all over, someone had apparently broken into my car, My glove compartment was open and there was stuff all over my vehicle, just things thrown around.

Mind you did lock my vehicle, I know for sure i did, so they some how broke into my car, my mother didn't hear my car alarm go off neither did my neighbor apparently, so they some how got into my vehicle with either a clothes hanger, or something else that you could unlock your vehicle with. they left no evidence behind but a mess in my vehicle.

My question now is if i would have caught this individual or individuals since it is in fact legal to carry a weapon in the state of pa, would i have legal grounds to put a bullet into this person, notice i said "if i were have caught them in act", Doe's a vehicle still follow under the castle law in PA? just curious?

Generally a bad idea to go around shooting people for burglary. You would have to articulate being in fear of death or serious bodily harm to justify using deadly force, not simply in defense of property otherwise you will most likely get charged.

ModularFan

Established Member
Generally a bad idea to go around shooting people for burglary. You would have to articulate being in fear of death or serious bodily harm to justify using deadly force, not simply in defense of property otherwise you will most likely get charged.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I said. Your right it is a bad idea to run around shooting people. thats not what i meant nor did i interpret it that way. what I meant to say, If I were to have seen this individual or individuals in the act of breaking into my vehicle, would I have had the right to take action against them In reference to being able to carry a gun in the state of pa. The question i had asked is if it would have been justified if i did infact pull a gun on this person or persons. Would it have been lawful. Since i would have been protecting my property.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/US/PDF/2011/0/0010..PDF

Information within this link answers your question.

Thank you!

Last edited:

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Perhaps you misunderstood what I said. Your right it is a bad idea to run around shooting people. thats not what i meant nor did i interpret it that way. what I meant to say, If I were to have seen this individual or individuals in the act of breaking into my vehicle, would I have had the right to take action against them In reference to being able to carry a gun in the state of pa. The question i had asked is if it would have been justified if i did infact pull a gun on this person or persons. Would it have been lawful. Since i would have been protecting my property.

Thank you!

I don't think he misunderstood you at all. In fact, I think he answered your question perfectly. You asked if you could put a bullet in a guy while in the act of burglarizing your car. The answer was right on. You're gonna have a hard time justifying using deadly force to stop a property crime, unless you can articulate that the suspect posed an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury to you.

Of course, I understand WHY you'd want to! But you might be in some trouble if you do.

gatty1303

Established Member
Just like what was said before, if you can articulate that you were in fear for your safety to a point that you needed to use deadly force is the only way you can get away with it. No such thing as "burglarizing" a car. A burglary is breaking into a structure that is likely to be inhabited by a person as a residence, which is a felony, whether you take anything or not. Breaking into a car is almost at all times a misdemeanor theft/criminal damage.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member

Thank you!

The way you worded it was "put a bullet in him" lol. Thats pretty clear to me. pulling a firearm would probably be fine as you could articulate that he may have been armed as well.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Just like what was said before, if you can articulate that you were in fear for your safety to a point that you needed to use deadly force is the only way you can get away with it. No such thing as "burglarizing" a car. A burglary is breaking into a structure that is likely to be inhabited by a person as a residence, which is a felony, whether you take anything or not. Breaking into a car is almost at all times a misdemeanor theft/criminal damage.

Its a burglary in fl to break into a vehicle. 3Rd degree felony. Thats crazy that its not where you live, I think anytime you enter anyones property and steal something it should be a felony. Fl is pretty strict though.

gatty1303

Established Member
^ wow I wish it was in ohio. That way when we catch them , we can put them away for a little bit instead of them getting a slap on the wrist and a fine

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
^ wow I wish it was in ohio. That way when we catch them , we can put them away for a little bit instead of them getting a slap on the wrist and a fine

Yeah that sucks . They usually get probation here anyways if its their first offense so it doesnt really make too much difference lol

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i'd sign up to a concealed weapon permit forum.
i plan on getting mine. i dont wanna goto prison for illegal shooting though. i plan to study night and day on the gun laws.

is it possible to weld a piece of metal inside the door to prevent a slim jim from going down it?

ModularFan

Established Member
I don't think he misunderstood you at all. In fact, I think he answered your question perfectly. You asked if you could put a bullet in a guy while in the act of burglarizing your car. The answer was right on. You're gonna have a hard time justifying using deadly force to stop a property crime, unless you can articulate that the suspect posed an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury to you.

Of course, I understand WHY you'd want to! But you might be in some trouble if you do.

So your'e basically telling me, That if i witnessed someone breaking into my car last night, i should basically blow them a kiss and ask them to let me know when they're done?

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
i'd sign up to a concealed weapon permit forum.
i plan on getting mine. i dont wanna goto prison for illegal shooting though. i plan to study night and day on the gun laws.

is it possible to weld a piece of metal inside the door to prevent a slim jim from going down it?

Thats another issue at hand, most car thieves know tow trucks drivers if not affiliated with one, so they have access to tools that can open doors without doing damage to the vehicle.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
So your'e basically telling me, That if i witnessed someone breaking into my car last night, i should basically blow them a kiss and ask them to let me know when they're done?

Yes. Just because they are breaking into your car doesn't give you the right to go up and shoot them in the face.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Your force has to be equal to the threat at hand. You cannot shoot someone who is not threatening you with serious bodily harm or death. That's it.

ModularFan

Established Member
Your force has to be equal to the threat at hand. You cannot shoot someone who is not threatening you with serious bodily harm or death. That's it.

Force equal to what, that person or persons broke into my vehicle, that vehicle is my property whether its on my property or not its still my property, so i have every right to protect it. you guys seem to be telling me i don't have that right to protect my property.

What are you gonna tell me next, i have only the right to confront the person and welcome him to take what ever he pleases, and then call the cops after he leaves? Is that what your telling me?

And I am also getting the impression, even if i did pull a gun on the person or persons, Id be charged with brandishing a weapon so it seems.

Last edited:

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Force equal to what, that person or persons broke into my vehicle, that vehicle is my property whether its on my property or not its still my property, so i have every right to protect it. you guys seem to be telling me i don't have that right to protect my property.

What are you gonna tell me next, i have only the right to confront the person and welcome him to take what ever he pleases, and then call the cops after he leaves? Is that what your telling me?

And I am also getting the impression, even if i did pull a gun on the person or persons, Id be charged with brandishing a weapon so it seems.

Your not understanding it. Next thing that is going to happen to you is some guy scuffs your shoe so you stab him in the neck.

Pulling a gun on him and telling him to stop is different than pulling a gun and shooting him. It's a thin line.

Yes it's your property but you don't jump into murder because he broke into your vehicle. Now if he broke into your vehicle with you in it that would give you greater cause to shoot him.

You just were not in danger the only way I could have seen you maybe need to shoot him is you knew he was going to break into your vehicle start it up and ram into into your bedroom in the hopes of running you over.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
OP Please think about why carry before you end up in jail or hurt someone.
You can draw your weapon and use it in the commission of a crime (Child abduction, rape, murder, etc). You could draw your weapon if you happened upon the criminal in your car and if you feel like your life is threatened you can do what you feel necessary to stop the threat. What you can't do is instigate a situation then claim self defense.
If you would have shot him you would probably go to jail for a long time.
My advice call the cops, buy some pepper spray.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
shoot him and plant a weapon on him. Then cook up a story and say that he went for said weapon and you felt your life was in danger. When the other guy is dead then there can only be 1 side to the story. :idea:

With any luck the perp will have priors and you will never be charged. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread