P2096 - '12 3.5 eco f150

samw3002

Former Ford SMT here, this code can be a nightmare to chase down, a couple of suggestions for you.
1. Since it only happened since the exhaust was modified, I would tape off the air inlet and find a way to pressurize the exhaust at the tailpipe and spray soapy water to all the welds and joints..a small pinhole leak will cause this code. Chased my tail on a brand new 3.5 EB Explorer only to find someone didn't weld all the way around a cat seam.
2. Also seen thus caused by a leaking cannister purge valve....easy ck by removing and try to blow through it.
Good Luck!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Former Ford SMT here, this code can be a nightmare to chase down, a couple of suggestions for you.
1. Since it only happened since the exhaust was modified, I would tape off the air inlet and find a way to pressurize the exhaust at the tailpipe and spray soapy water to all the welds and joints..a small pinhole leak will cause this code. Chased my tail on a brand new 3.5 EB Explorer only to find someone didn't weld all the way around a cat seam.
2. Also seen thus caused by a leaking cannister purge valve....easy ck by removing and try to blow through it.
Good Luck!

thanks, hopefully I don't have to chase this any further but good info to have!

I really think it was keeping the crappy crush washers on the non-foulers allowing it to leak. I took them out (the non-foulers all together) Sunday afternoon and so far so good with no current or pending codes

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Even in the vice you can’t get them to crush evenly so if you ever needed them I’d say toss the that part
IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1856.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm gonna consider this resolved as the non-foulers causing a leak. I've put over 1,500 miles on it since removing them and no more codes of any kind. Truck gained back a little over 1mpg on the highway since replacing the cats. I had marked up the MPG loss to the leveling and tires but apparently that wasn't the sole cause.

Users who are viewing this thread