P1SC ProCharger Blow off Valve?

austin21

Established Member
Hello, attempting to figure out if my P1SC ProCharger has a blow off valve on my 99 Cobra. Only reason i am asking is because i bought the car with the ProCharger already on it however i dont have any supercharger noises.

Does the P1SC require a blowoff valve, and if so, where would it be installed? I dont see anything apparent from under the hood.

thanks!

robvas

Established Member
You likely have the stock bypass valve, which you can't really hear that well because it is venting back into your intake pipe

Attachments

• IMG_7422.jpeg
    IMG_7422.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 42

austin21

Established Member
You likely have the stock bypass valve, which you can't really hear that well because it is venting back into your intake pipe
Wow thanks that’s a helpful diagram!

Any benefit of using this over a blow off valve or vice versa?

To be honest I love the “sleeper” setup. Also unsure if I want to drop $300-500 on a blow off valve just to sound like a airplane

robvas

Established Member
Wow thanks that’s a helpful diagram!

Any benefit of using this over a blow off valve or vice versa?

To be honest I love the “sleeper” setup. Also unsure if I want to drop $300-500 on a blow off valve just to sound like a airplane

At some point you will make too much boost to vent it back so you would have to vent it to the atmosphere. But you don't have to worry about that on a stock car and setup.

Personally I'm not a fan of the loud venting all the time so I didn't mind the setup I had like that. I've had it both ways.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You need to run a bypass style when the MAF is draw through. Meaning the MAF is placed before the blower. Which is how a Procharger is set up originally. In a draw through set up all the air going through the bypass is metered. So you have to keep on in the system.

You need to swap to a blow through set up to run a blow off style. A blow through puts the MAF after the bypass valve. You can run a bypass style with a blow through set up if the noise bothers you.

robvas

Established Member
You need to run a bypass style when the MAF is draw through. Meaning the MAF is placed before the blower. Which is how a Procharger is set up originally. In a draw through set up all the air going through the bypass is metered. So you have to keep on in the system.

You need to swap to a blow through set up to run a blow off style. A blow through puts the MAF after the bypass valve. You can run a bypass style with a blow through set up if the noise bothers you.

True but the Procharger kit puts the MAF in the pipe post-intercooler, not before the blower like Vortech

01yellercobra

Established Member
True but the Procharger kit puts the MAF in the pipe post-intercooler, not before the blower like Vortech
Good to hear they changed that. When I had a Procharger it was a draw through set up. I switched it to blow through when I learned some things.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Blow through = run a blow off valve
Draw through = run a bypass valve.

01Yeller already stated this. I had a blow off valve on my D1SC setup. Ran an SCT BA3000 slot style MAF in the intake tube about 6-8 inches from the TB. I loved the blow off valve. I miss it actually.

robvas

Established Member
Good to hear they changed that. When I had a Procharger it was a draw through set up. I switched it to blow through when I learned some things.

Plus they have you use the stock MAF with this little adapter, I wonder how well that really works?

I looked into a Procharger years ago for my 2002 GT but never pulled the trigger. The shop that was going to do it wanted to do a regular slot MAF and a fuel system etc, didn't fee like spending $10k on what was a stock car.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Plus they have you use the stock MAF with this little adapter, I wonder how well that really works?

I looked into a Procharger years ago for my 2002 GT but never pulled the trigger. The shop that was going to do it wanted to do a regular slot MAF and a fuel system etc, didn't fee like spending $10k on what was a stock car.
I'm sure it works fine. I started with a Lightening MAF and MAFia. When I first tried blow through I picked up some cheap couplers to test it. Once I learned it'll work great I picked up the flange from VMP and made everything permanent.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
as mentioned an 99-01 cobra should be blow through.

even if its a blowoff valve, still needs to be run with the correct spring to operate like a bypass valve. The valve needs to be open at idle and cruise. The air stacking up in the blower is part of how you end up with seal leaks.

Assuming it's a stock kit with the bypass valve being recirculated you could still pull that hose off and plug the elbow on the inlet. That would have the stock valve venting to atmosphere for the noise if that's what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread