P1SC installed ... chirping .sound ... the belt, or not enough tension?

sn95leen

Established Member
Running a gates belt on my p1sc kit. @ startup belt squeak is pretty bad, once the car warms up it's not so bad, though there's still a chirping sound that I'm assuming is the belt. It increases/decreases in speed along w/rpm (it doesn't start till around 2k). I've heard gates belts are great, so is it possible that I just need to add tension vs. buying a new belt?

saleenkid01

Established Member
Check the idler pulley on the s/c. If its the same setup as my car(01 saleen), then the pulley is rubbing on the supercharger. I went through like 3 belts trying to get rid of the squeak. It went away for like a week after changing the belt, then would come back. Just recently I was on my way home from a show and heard a noise under the hood. I looked thinking the bearing on the alternator went, but then I saw the idler pulley was literally rubbing on the s/c and that the bearing inside was shot. I think the tension on the belt might have been too much. Im not sure though, going in this week to get fixed. Just my .02 cents

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I have the startup squeak problem. Its just that belt. I have the gates too.If yours is squeaking even after it warms up and during normal driving then you have an alignment problem....

sn95leen

Established Member
flowgoode said:
you put a p1sc on an 03 cobra? (profile says you have an 03)
Yes, it's actually a P1SC-2, not sure what all the tech differences are, but it's middle ground between a p1 and d1.

Will start by looking @ the idler tomorrow, hopefully that's it, the noise drives me nuts. Next I may try swapping the belt (I'll assume a Gatorback is a sound alternative). Some other threads I've looked @ have mentioned that the chirping may be the blower itself, being an indication that it's time for a rebuild. :(

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
i take it you bought a used kit right?

my first guess would be the procharger idler bearing.
second would be belt
third would be head unit itself.
how many miles were on the kit before you bought it?

you may want to go pick up one of those automotive stethescopes.
they are cheap and my save you alot of hassle trouble shooting

J

Last edited:
Idler pully!! When I finally found out what mine was the pully was almost toast & was grinding on the blower bracket...you'll start throwing belts next!!

sn95leen

Established Member
I checked the idler clearance and there isn't an issue there. Checked both @ idle and while revving the motor. I did a water test next and I think the belt is the issue. When I sprayed water on it the chirp and sqeak instantly went away for about 20 - 30 secs, then started creeping back in. I've found quite a few threads that point to Gates belts being problematic/noisy. I'll probably change the belt 1st and go from there...I'll be sure to check the pullies while the belt is off as well.

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
are the bearings dangerous when they need to be replaced? Like will driving with a bad bearing potentially damage the motor if pieces fly into the motor...

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
i would check the tensioner, and i would check the pullys for any side to side movement, with belt off, grab pully and pull forward on both sides, then on one side, push back. if there is much movement that could be your noise.

also, make sure that your belt is the correct size. possible the belt is to long, causing the tensioner to be near fully extended.

i think what you have is a bad bearing. thats all,

" you have a p1sc -2 kit"----- that is the same thing as the p1sc kit, but an upgraded intercooler, its a 3" racing versoin. thats the only differance between the 2 kits. no impeller change or gear drive or head unit differance as far as that goes.

and no, a bearing failer will not explode and hurt your engine from the super charger. your head unit will leak before the bearings totally fail, and you will get leaks at the front and back seal, you will know when you see that. and the seal is easy to replace. and only like a few dollars.

if your running that p1sc on a 03 cobra, it might be just me, but your limitning your car, save for all the work and tuning, and just get a d1blower and be done with it. or go turbo if you want your moneys worth. that engine can handle alot!!!! aslong as the tune is good.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
sn95leen said:
Yes, it's actually a P1SC-2, not sure what all the tech differences are, but it's middle ground between a p1 and d1.

Will start by looking @ the idler tomorrow, hopefully that's it, the noise drives me nuts. Next I may try swapping the belt (I'll assume a Gatorback is a sound alternative). Some other threads I've looked @ have mentioned that the chirping may be the blower itself, being an indication that it's time for a rebuild. :(

if you pored water on the belt and the noise went away for a minute or so, i would have to guess belt area is where i would look

sn95leen

Established Member
bamaRed said:
i would check the tensioner, and i would check the pullys for any side to side movement, with belt off, grab pully and pull forward on both sides, then on one side, push back. if there is much movement that could be your noise.

also, make sure that your belt is the correct size. possible the belt is to long, causing the tensioner to be near fully extended.
Thx man, I'll check out the pullies when the belt is off later this week.
bamaRed said:
" you have a p1sc -2 kit"----- that is the same thing as the p1sc kit, but an upgraded intercooler, its a 3" racing versoin. thats the only differance between the 2 kits. no impeller change or gear drive or head unit differance as far as that goes.
no intercooler w/this kit...and the impellers are different between the p1sc and p1sc-2. I looked @ a buddy's p1sc and my p1sc-2...mine has a curved impeller like the D1's vs. his having a straight impeller.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
hummm. i do know that they can upgradethe wheel, but you should be adding an intercooler asap!

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
anti height punk-
hummm how you going to fix it with out knowing what to fix? so yeah you have to drive it or at least run it, and yes if not fixed, it will sooner or later mess up,.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i am going to completly rebuild it the only problem is i need to make it home first...i have about a two hour drive:( im hopeing it will make it!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
sn95leen said:
Changed to a Gatorback belt and no more issues. :) :rockon:
I was going to tell you... I have had nothing but problems with the Gates belts. They squeal and chirp continually. Not only that, I snapped one on a 4th gear pull, which resulted in some slight hood damage.

Gates FTL.

Gatorback seems to be the better choice, but even that one slips a bit on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread