P1516 & P1518 Codes

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Ok, I've been plagued with the p1516 and p1518 codes. And I've searched and read the archived threads.

When they first appeared, I checked the cables, they aren't kinked. I can't feel/hear the IMRC's open(I usually can). I've cleaned the IMRC plates/butterflies with no success. I've already swapped out the IMRC actuator for another that I bought from an SVTPerformance member as "NIB" which looked to be brand new.

On the first test drive, I realized that I forgot to plug the IMRC actuator into the harness, but still got the p1516 & p1518 codes. I got home, ran codes, cleared them with the scanner and then managed to plug the connector in without removing the manifold. I then went for another test drive, stopped for gas, and upon start-up, there was the CEL AGAIN :mj:

Any recommendations on how to proceed from here. Does anyone know of a way to trouble shoot the 2 actuators I have? I'd love to be able to see that they are both bad before I go buy another one. I need to get this car smogged soon.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Upon closer inspection, the driver's side is actually sticking shut randomly. I had my gf sit in the car, rev the engine (WOT) beyond 3500rpm while I watched the ends of the cables with a mirror. Any idea why an IMRC plate that was cleaned would still stick?

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Trust me, I've thought about deleting the IMRC's. How'd you tune the car? A chip? If so, which brand and, if you don't mind, how much did it run you?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My local tuner told me NOT to delete the IMRCs, unless I go F.I.

He said it's a big mistake, even with 4.30s or 4.56s.

That's enough for me to not do it.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Obviusly, I'd rather NOT do the IMRC delete. This is my gf's stock Cobra. Any ideas yet? Someone's gotta have some input for me.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You can't just attach the positive and negative wires to the car's battery? I don't know either, it's just an idea.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
well the 1518 means imrc is stuck open, and 16 means input error... and there is 2 seperate test for the codes... kinda hard to walk you though it with out you using a datalogger... may need to just take it to a dealer. could have some wiring issues

Users who are viewing this thread