P0606 came up and Im worried

arbs

Established Member
Hi great people of SVTPerformance, so like the title says, P0606 came up. I know its a PCM failure or communications error but what can that be caused by? Is that even something that breaks down easily? I only have about 36k miles. My mods are intake, exhaust, 2.93 BF and a Bama tune. Can a bad tune do that? But the thing is I've had that tune on the car for about 2-3 months already and its just now coming up. It all started on Saturday, I went to the mall, then when I got back into the car to go home, I started her up and the check engine light was on. I have an Aeroforce gauge so I checked the DTC, it was a P0606. So I erased it and all was good until the next Monday when I was coming home from work. When I started her up, the same code came back. So when I got home I checked the battery terminals to see if they were dirty, and to be honest they were, a little. So I cleaned them up thinking that maybe the PCM wasn't getting enough juice or something, I also checked the charging system. A/C full blast headlights on, fog lights on, wipers on and the radio. Charging system was around 13.5V. So I knew that was okay. BTW, when I cleaned the battery terminals I left them off for about an hour just to keep everything powered down. I also checked to see if the PCMs ground was messed up or whatever, but all was okay. After putting everything back together I went to work the next day and again when I got off the code came back. I reseted it two more times after that.

I'm stumped, Idk what to do anymore. I spoke to Bama and they said to update the software and they were going to give me an updated tune.

Is this something you guys have ever heard of before?

Thanks!

hotcobra03

Established Member
P0606 - Powertrain Control Module Internal Communication error P0606 indicates register readback (PCM internal Communications) error. Damaged PCM

P0606 All See Note 10

Note 10: Be sure to check for aftermarket performance products before replacing PCM. For Electronic Throttle Control vehicles, P0606 may be set with other DTCS indicating a specific failure in that system, and repairing those DTCS will fix the P0606. (Follow Section 4 direction for DTCS) For diagnosing P0606 alone, an internal fault in the PCM is indicated, and the PCM should replaced. For replacement, refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) .

2003 PCED OBD SECTION 2: Diagnostic Methods
Procedure revision date: 12/19/2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory — Flash EEPROM
Description
Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) is contained in an Integrated Circuit (IC) internal to the PCM. The EEPROM contains the vehicle strategy including calibration information specific to the vehicle and is capable of being reprogrammed or reflashed repeatedly.

As part of the calibration there is an area referred to as the Vehicle Identification (VID) block. The VID block must be programmed when replacing the PCM as described under Programming the VID Block for a Replacement PCM. Failure to perform this procedure may generate fault codes: P1635, P1639, VID Block not programmed or is corrupt. The VID block in an existing PCM can also be tailored to accommodate various hardware/parameter changes made to the vehicle since production. Failure to perform this procedure properly may generate fault code: P1635, Tire/Axle Ratio out of Acceptable Range is one of the main causes for code: P1639. This is described under Making Changes to the VID Block and also under Making Changes to the PCM Calibration. The VID block contains many items used by the strategy for a variety of functions. Some of these items include the VIN number, octane adjust, fuel octane, fuel type, vehicle speed limit, tire size, axle ratio, the presence of speed control and four wheel drive electronic shift on the fly versus manual shift on the fly. Only items applicable to vehicle hardware and supported by the VID block will be displayed on the scan tool.

When changing items in the VID block, the strategy will place range limits on certain items such as tire and axle ratio. The VID block is also limited to the number of times to be reconfigured. When this limit is reached, the scan tool will display a message indicating the need to flash the PCM again to reset the VID block.

Each of the procedures described below use the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS). Reprogramming can be performed by a local Ford dealer for any non Ford facility. There are other Enhanced Scan Tools that may have reprogramming capabilities available. Refer to the manufacturers users manual for details.

Programming the VID Block for a Replacement PCM
A new PCM will contain the latest strategy and calibration level for a particular vehicle. However, the VID block will be blank and will need programming. There are two procedures available. The first is an automatic data transfer from the old PCM to the new PCM and the second is manual data entry into the new PCM.

Automatic data transfer will be performed if the old PCM is capable of communicating. This is done by the use of a scan tool to retrieve data from the old PCM before removing it from the vehicle. The stored data can now be downloaded to the new PCM after it has been replaced.

Manual data entry must be performed if the old module is damaged and/or incapable of communicating. Remove and replace the old PCM. Using a compatible Scan Tool select and execute Module/Parameter reprogramming referring to the manufacturers users manual. Important, make certain that all parameters are included. Failure to properly program Tire Size in revolutions per mile, (rev/mile = 63,360 divided by the tire circumference in inches) Axle Ratio, 4x4/4x2, and/or Manual/Electronic shift on the fly (MSOF/ESOF) may result in codes: P1635, P1639. You may be instructed to contact the "AS BUILT" data center for the information needed to manually update the VID block with the scan tool. Contact the center ONLY if the old PCM cannot be used or the data is corrupt. For Ford L-M technician's, contact your National Hotline or the Professional Technician Society (PTS) web sight for "AS Built" data. Non Ford technicians, use the Fed World website at "fedworld.gov". Select Auto Service Information and search for "Calibrations" or "Vehicle Calibrations" then specify vehicle manufacturer, model name and model year as required.

Making Changes to the VID Block
A PCM which is programmed may require changes to be made to certain VID information to accomodate vehicle hardware. Refer to PCM/Module Reprogramming on the Scan Tool.

Making Changes to the PCM Calibration
At certain times, the entire EEPROM will need to be completely reprogrammed. This is due to changes made to the strategy or calibration after production or the need to reset the VID block because it has reached its limit. Refer to PCM/Module Reprogramming on the Scan Tool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arbs

Established Member
Yeah thanks man! That was a very thorough reply!! I'll go ahead and see what the tuner(Bama) says, then go from there. They're going to give me a revised tune so hopefully it was just a corrupt file or something. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. :beer:

arbs

Established Member
So I replaced the PCM, but a few days later it came back. I disconnected it and put de electric grease hoping something would change and the light stayed off for like a week. Which was the longest it's stayed off ever since I started having these PCM failure problems. Then just this morning before leaving for work it came back again. Wth do I do? Anyone have any ideas? Do you think I got a defective unit? I got it from the dealer btw. So idk.. What should I do now? P0606 specifically stats PCM failure so it should've been the PCM, but it came back so obviously it's something else, unless it is indeed a defective unit.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I think it's just the tune. do you have any issues at all with the car running or anything?

arbs

Established Member
Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention, when I got the new PCM I programmed it with the computer at ford since I work there (parts). Then I also put the stock pulley back on since I can't run a 2.93 without a tune. But yeah, the code still came back. So I'm stumped. Idk what to do, I don't want to spend money because a lot is going on right now, and at the same time I like learning and doing things myself. But this problem man.. Damn. It's pissing me off. And another thing, smog is due mid next month. So this needs to get fixed.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
SPW and try again? Brand new ford part right? Looks like an internal failure is the only thing that causes that code. Aside from load testing the grounds and power wires, you can check the programming wire in the dlc for a short to power or gnd. Keep us posted, good luck.

arbs

Established Member
Okay thanks for the advise. I'll try it 2m. But whats SPW? Lol I'll keep you guys posted just incase this unfortunate event happens to someone else. That way people might know where to look. Hopefully I can find the problem myself or else to the dealer she goes.

Oh and btw the PCM was a ford part but it was a reman. I don't think they sell new PCMs.

Last edited:

Skud

Established Member
I researched this the other day while rebuilding my tune in PRP. One of the SCT provided value files I load actually disables this DTC and I was curious as to why. I researched it and others have had this trouble code appear after loading a custom tune. I suspect that the issue is actually a false alarm and it's safe to disable this DTC in the tune.

Riley

arbs

Established Member
I researched this the other day while rebuilding my tune in PRP. One of the SCT provided value files I load actually disables this DTC and I was curious as to why. I researched it and others have had this trouble code appear after loading a custom tune. I suspect that the issue is actually a false alarm and it's safe to disable this DTC in the tune.

Riley

But the thing is right now the car is pretty much stock because it has a new PCM with the ford program, and I put the stock pulley back on. So the car is stock with the exception of the k&n intake and bassani catback. The code was there with the original PCM with the bama tune. And it came back with the new PCM and factory tune. I've also erased the code several times, with the old and the new.

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Established Member
You work in Ford parts right?
Service
Part
Warranty

If you just bought it, it should have 12/12 warranty. Not impossible to get a bad one right out of the box, especially if it was a reman and not new. Can't be helped if new is not available, just going to be the luck of the draw. Seen stranger things.

Skud

Established Member
Judging from hotcobra03's post it also seems plausible that they didn't program the VID or PCM correctly. The article says that unless everything is programmed correctly in the new PCM you will get that error.

So, you may have the problem for different reasons on each PCM.

Riley

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

1wild-horse

Established Member
very true. I shouldn't assume everyone with access to a scan tool knows how to properly reflash a pcm. But I think you would have more problems than just a code if it didn't get the proper pmi.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I am curious on the subject as well, I had my 04 w/23,xxx miles tuned with the SCT x3 this past Saturday and been running fine, last night on my way home from work CEL came on p602 & p401?

Last edited:

arbs

Established Member
Okay so.... So I cleared the code on Wednesday night but when I started the engine in the morning before going to work the light came on. So I was like F it, and I took it to service at work. At lunch I got a call back from the service writer and he had me talk to the tech, since I know the guy. So the tech said it wasn't a messed up computer. He said there was also a misfire on cylinder 8. Which I never felt, and never got a code. So he said it could be that because it was probably grounding or arching to ground interfering with the electrical frequency. So he recommended me to chage the coil on that cylinder. He also said that its possible it could be an alternator. Then I remembered that termis were notorious for alt failures. But I figured the coil was cheaper so I went and got one. The light hasn't come back on yet. But I just installed it yesterday. Lets see how it holds up for the weekend. Damn, wtf, I think I just wasted $500 on a PCM. :fm:

1wild-horse

Established Member
There have been some cases of rfi caused by c.o.p. Assy's but never heard of one on anything but older Escapes. Hope thats it for ya.

arbs

Established Member
Alright well nothing came back so maybe that was the problem. The ignition coil for cylinder 8. How random. I'll give it this whole week and see how it goes. Fingers crossed. But damn, I still spent $500 on a PCM. DAMN IT!

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Glad everything worked out for you, Ill have to remember this. I called my tuner on my codes as well,
P602 & P401 and turned out to be vid block and egr. He's an hour away so ill have to schedule a day for him to retune or just leave the CEL on till I add something and retune it? I hate driving with that thing on :(

arbs

Established Member
Glad everything worked out for you, Ill have to remember this. I called my tuner on my codes as well,
P602 & P401 and turned out to be vid block and egr. He's an hour away so ill have to schedule a day for him to retune or just leave the CEL on till I add something and retune it? I hate driving with that thing on :(

Yeah I agree. I hate driving at night and seeing the refelction on the windshield. And it makes me feel weird at stop lights because since the mustang is lower than most cars, people can look into my car and when they see the CEL they're probably like, "damn ford". Lol.

But on a positive note, it's been a week and the CEL hasn't come back on. So hopefully it stays that way. I just smogged yesterday and passed no problem.

Still sucks though that I spent $500 on a PCM and have the light come back. Gave up and just brought it to service and spent another $100 on diagnosing and finding out that all I needed in the first place was a $40 COP. Geez..

Users who are viewing this thread