P0463

usmcah-1w

Established Member
Just now starting my car after my upgrades and I am pulling a p0463 code. Once I started the car I noticed that the gauge was said empty but I just added 11 gallons minutes before. Letting it warm up to operating temp to datalog the check engine light came up. Has anyone had this problem? What should I check first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
OK well its a safe bet that you got something messed up on the install.

Pretty sure the wires were color coded correctly when I did mine last year.

Did you make sure the arm moved up and down freely?

usmcah-1w

Established Member
Yea I made sure arm operated correctly before I inserted the hat. Since the hat was new from fore I only had to transfer the sending unit which I thought was simple.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya Im trying to remember how it was with mine.

Maybe bump the bottom of the tank of few times now that there is fuel in there.

After that Id start checking the wiring. You reconnected the big connector at the rear bumper?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Something has to be pinched or not connected correctly. You wired the black and yellow wire coming off of fuel hat, correct?

usmcah-1w

Established Member
Ya Im trying to remember how it was with mine.

Maybe bump the bottom of the tank of few times now that there is fuel in there.

After that Id start checking the wiring. You reconnected the big connector at the rear bumper?

Everything is connected, will be going through it and possibly dropping the tank again tomorrow.

usmcah-1w

Established Member
Something has to be pinched or not connected correctly. You wired the black and yellow wire coming off of fuel hat, correct?

I did wire the yellow to black together, that will be the first connection I check tomorrow when I get home. After the original post I went back and started the car again and it then the gauge full, after couple minutes at idle it went back down to E.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I did wire the yellow to black together, that will be the first connection I check tomorrow when I get home. After the original post I went back and started the car again and it then the gauge full, after couple minutes at idle it went back down to E.

You didn't wire the two on top of fuel hat together right? Yellow wire gets tapped into the harness. That's the one for the gauge. I've also had the sending unit wire break off while handling it. I had to solder it.

Maybe you worded it wrong?
IMAG0633_zpswz2fykoa.jpg

usmcah-1w

Established Member
You didn't wire the two on top of fuel hat together right? Yellow wire gets tapped into the harness. That's the one for the gauge. I've also had the sending unit wire break off while handling it. I had to solder it.

Maybe you worded it wrong?
IMAG0633_zpswz2fykoa.jpg

No I didn't wire the two coming from the hat together. It has been over a month since I put the tank back in the car so it's kinda hard to remember exactly everything. For some reason I do not remember tapping the yellow into the harness. I did double check everything when I connected it all but definitely could have missed something.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
No I didn't wire the two coming from the hat together. It has been over a month since I put the tank back in the car so it's kinda hard to remember exactly everything. For some reason I do not remember tapping the yellow into the harness. I did double check everything when I connected it all but definitely could have missed something.

I'd be curious as to what you connected that yellow wire too? The black obviously goes to the black wire in harness for ground.

MG0h3

Established Member
OP the car had a yellow and black that was inside that black (canvas like) loom that Bdubbs is showing under his newer wiring. The corresponding wires from the hat go to those. You may be able to sneak a mirror up there to look or just lower the tank a bit.

Ive been doing some reading on what OHMS reading you should get when testing but I think we need to verify the wiring.

It reading full for a bit and then dropping to E again is odd. Did it just go to full when you turned the key on then sweep back to E?

No need to start the car either..key on engine off will work for testing.

usmcah-1w

Established Member
Update: I tapped on the bottom of tank last week before I continued to datalog for the idle part of tune and it seemed to work. The sat empty for a good month before fueling it up maybe something was stuck? I am still skeptical about and will be keeping an eye on it but seems to be working now, no light and the fuel gauge is reading correct.

MG0h3

Established Member
Possible it was just hung up all the way bottomed out. Hope that takes care of it

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread