P0456 2014 GT500

Exxit

Established Member
My car sat for a bit with E85 in it, I want to say at least 2 weeks or so. I took the car out for a few errands 2 days ago without noticing a light. Today I started the car and it had a CEL with the code P0456. No other codes. I am planning to take the car to get smoke tested to see if there are any kinks in the EVAP, but wanted to check here since it seems a few folks have experienced this before.

Anyone with a 13-14 that went through this? Seems like folks elsewhere are suggesting that there are hoses above the passenger side exhaust that could melt, or the EVAP cannister in the rear may have an issue, or the evap solenoid up in the intake elbow may be the culprit.

Exxit

Established Member
Small update. Drove the car around today but it didn’t finish the evap cycle. I’ll likely wrap it up this weekend before my shop appointment next Tuesday.

I’ll periodically check in with results of either the shop visit or completing the drive cycle and let y’all know where this new tshooting journey takes me this time :D

Exxit

Established Member
EVAP monitor is set as ready for now...

Must have been a fluke during the last cycle. I had reset codes for an "Overspeed" random code, and this kicked off the EVAP recheck. My best bet is I didn't set sensors yet and the car was driven in the canyons (like one intends to drive an FBO tuned shelby in the canyons), and , with lots of up/down hills and hard turns. Sloshing, plus changes in temp/altitude, etc.
In this time, I've taken a look under the car above the passenger wheel well, nothing looks damaged there
I opened and closed the shit tier capless fill tube, cleaned the gasket around the fuel door, and blew out anything in the filler area
I took a peek at the EVAP solenoid in the engine bay behind the intake elbow. I didn't disconnect anything, just gave it a light tapping and ensured all lines were nicely seated
I took a peek at the cannister and all tubes that come to and from it.

I cleared my codes and went on a drive cycle to get the monitors to be emissions ready, EVAP is good to go according to that.

I ran the car again to temp from cold start just for extra good measure. I watched the EVAP_VP and the EVAP_PCT PIDs on my ngauge. I could see the evap test run, cycled the key one more time. And then for extra extra good measure I checked on my battery to make sure its not tapping out. It is pretty damn old (no indication of a battery change in any of the carfax records previous to me owning the car) but it seems to hold charge well at 12.6v. I haven't tried to cold crank it to see how low it gets, I'll give that a whirl soon and if that doesn't match up I'll be updating the battery either with a new factory one, or the fresh replacement folks have been talking about on the boards from Odyessy (96R-600)

Seems to be yet another fluke for now, or one of the steps above may have played a role.

Fun Fact, according to Carfax its worth more than I paid for it... I have no will to sell such an iconic car unless something happens in my life where I need to. I'd hate to be the guy who sold his 67 Fast Back in the 70s or worse the 80s. "HODLing" as the kids these days say.

Users who are viewing this thread