P0455 and Vapor Cannister Purge Solenoid

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
P0455 and Vapor Cannister Purge Solenoid -Solved as Found the REAL Problem

I've got another P0455 code and I'm trying to track it down. Took the VC Purge Solenoid off and tested it - it clicks. However, if I blow in one of the hose connections and block off the other, I actually get a little pressure leakage through the connection pins. Should that be? There also appears to be a leak around the seal where the metal goes into the plastic as I can feel a little air there, too. Is this normal or should I buy another one? They ain't cheap and I hate to throw parts at things.

I will also check hoses and the purge valve in the passenger inner liner. The gas cap seal looks good.

I did drop the gas tank last fall to replace a dead fuel pump and I'm also checking my connections there.

Any one have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Subscribing to check for ideas to my problem. Not sure if I can help your problem but I recently changed fuel pumps and now every couple days I'm getting a P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected. Maybe one of the evap lines got broken but I'll have to get it on the lift to check soon.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I checked everything and found no real problems. A couple of hoses to the purge solenoid will need replacing (they are oxidizing badly but are OK for now). One thing I did was reverse the gas cap seal and the code did not come back - leading me to believe it is that gas cap that is bad. Bought and installed a new one so will let everyone know if this seems to "fix" the problem.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
The new gas cap seems to have cured the problem; the code has not come back. It's odd that a gas cap will suddenly go bad like that. Got it from RockAuto as they had the best price (including shipping) for an OEM Ford gas cap.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
P0455 and Vapor Cannister Purge Solenoid -Solved as Found the REAL Problem

The check engine light came back in spite of the gas cap so I started looking around at ALL the vapor lines. There is a larger solid line that travels from the rear of the car to the front and I started following this being the curious sort. It ends up near the driver's side of the gas tank on the front side in a flexible line. I followed the flexible line and while my hand was on it, I noticed it was loose. The line was NOT connected at the gas tank end. Unfortunately, the IRS will allow no access in that area. I had to take the driver's side exhaust off on that side (I have the FR500 exhaust), take the gas tank strap off on that side and loosen the other strap with a jack and piece of plywood underneath to lower it. After about 3 hours of fiddling around, I was able to re-attach it - it's a "click" type fitting.

I did replace the fuel pump last October and I must not have re-connected this line properly. Anyway, the check engine light has NOT come on since. I could also smell gas and that's where it was coming from.

Thought I would pass the solution on. The evaporative emissions system is very complex with two very expensive components. I did not want to start throwing parts at it and well that I did not.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Glad you got it figured out. Those evap lines can be a pain when removing and reinstalling the gas tank. I replaced my gas cap and actually haven't had the check engine light come back on for P0442. Hopefully it was just a worn out seal on the cap and I don't have to fiddle around with dropping the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread