P0420 > Your Experiences with CAT failure & replacement Options

Race Red Boss

Established Member
My car threw the above code yesterday and indicates a potential catalytic converter efficiency issue on bank 1. Could also be an exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor or wiring. I reset the DTC but still see 3 emission monitors showing red: EVA, EGR and CAT

Going to take it into a shop to have them data scan and see if in fact the bank 1 CAT is toast or not.

Questions for you guys:

1. How many of you have had a CAT failure

2. If you had a CAT failure, what did you use as a replacement and how did that work out?

The previous owner of my car put hi-flow CATs on it....quite a few years ago.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Took it for a drive today and came back and did another OBDII scan and all emission monitors are good/green again. I guess the car needed some time to cycle through the monitors.

Will have to see if the P0240 code appears again.....or was just an anomaly. Have had the car for just over 2 yrs. (put over 6K miles on it) and this is the first DTC its ever thrown.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
On a somewhat related note, I recently had an annoying metal on metal vibration noise coming from directly under the drivers side of the car. Today I found the culprit....catalytic heat shield had come loose. Local exhaust shop promptly removed it and noise gone! Man that was annoying!

Users who are viewing this thread