P0017 after cam install

redline5.0

Established Member
Car fires right up but seems a little choppy for comp s3's. I rotated to check the timing at least 3 or 4 times. Is the drivers side bank 1? Which cam is sensor b?

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Well it could either be the vct solenoid, cam phaser, engine oil pressure or it is out of time.

Bank 1 is PASSENGER side, the p0017 is for the exhaust side on bank 1 sensor B.

redline5.0

Established Member
How would I tell if the vct solenoid is bad? Thanks for the help. I'm confident it's timed right so if its not the solenoid then something is up with the phaser. You do have to take the front cover of the exhaust phasers to put in the limiters but that was as easy as putting in a piece of metal.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The only test they list for the VCT solenoid is to put a 5 amp fused jumper in between pin 2 VCT on the VCT solenoid and the negative battery terminal. Then repeat on the pin 2 vpower and positive battery terminal and listen for an audible click.

redline5.0

Established Member
The only test they list for the VCT solenoid is to put a 5 amp fused jumper in between pin 2 VCT on the VCT solenoid and the negative battery terminal. Then repeat on the pin 2 vpower and positive battery terminal and listen for an audible click.

So if I switched the secondary timeing chain around say I put the two links on the exhaust and one link on the intake would that cause this issue or would I be throwing a code for both cams? I can pop the cover after work and look but just wondering. Trying to narrow down wtf might of happened.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Did you bend a pin on the VCT solenoid? I always push them forward and out of the way before messing with cam gear assemblies.

Did you pull the timing cover off? or work with it in place?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
So if I switched the secondary timeing chain around say I put the two links on the exhaust and one link on the intake would that cause this issue or would I be throwing a code for both cams? I can pop the cover after work and look but just wondering. Trying to narrow down wtf might of happened.
That is very possible of what could have happened.

redline5.0

Established Member
Did you bend a pin on the VCT solenoid? I always push them forward and out of the way before messing with cam gear assemblies.

Did you pull the timing cover off? or work with it in place?

I don't think I did I sat the cover on the oil pan first and then pushed it flat to the heads so the pins should of been back out of the way. I'm going to be super pissed if I pull the valve cover and I put the secondary chain on backwards lol.

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
FYI found my problem last night. The secondary tensioner on the passenger side is flat as shit, no tension at all. So the cam timing chain jumped some but thankfully the cams themselves did not move much so I don't think I had any ptv issues. I put new secondary tensioners in because they were left over from my old boss tensioner kit I got from american muscle back when I did the engine build. After looking at parts the boss uses the same secondary chain tensioners as the gt so was basically a waste of time. So I should have the tensioner replaced and hopefully running again Friday/Saturday.

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
It's alive, can't wait to test these cams out.
[video=youtube;clsxmyHViB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clsxmyHViB8&feature[/video]

redline5.0

Established Member
**** me I just can't win. Drove the car lastnight no check engine lights. Drive to work this morning and I have a p0014 exhaust b cam position timing over advanced and a p0507 idle air control system rpm higher than expected.

Users who are viewing this thread