owners of kb or whipple. would you do it differently if you could rebuy again?

would you buy another kb or whipple if you had a chance to do it differently?

• If I could do it different I would have went ported

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dezertcobra

Established Member
There has been many discussions of kb vs. whipple so lets keep it simple. I only want to hear from previous or current owners of either. If you could turn back the clock and choose to purchase a kb or whipple again would you stay with your current twin screw or change brands? I also want to know how many miles and how many rebuilds on each and what psi and power level you were making. Im hoping this thread will squash all others.

Oborroto

Established Member
I've been through three so I'll share my expierence with them. First it was a kenne bell
(2.2)didn't have much of a problem but it was a significant lose of power after 3-4 passes. After the Kenne Bell, I went with pro charger and it was a test kit, so nothing fit right was at diablo with scott beer for months. Sounded great, but performance just wasnt there. Whipple (2.3) was a great all around blower for me, and didn't see as much of a lose of power as I did with the KB. Sold that car after I crashed it into a truck in 05 for an f 250. Bought a new car but a KB on it (2.4) ran strong no problems, heat soaking was still an issue. Motor blew and now its got a whipple again (3.4 gen II) hasnt been tuned, but it is running strong. Whipple has been my favorite as far as tech support and hp rating.

ETA: With the kenne bell's I always saw a little more tq than with the whipples.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
am happy with my 2.6h .,., although I am sure I would be as happy with new gen 2.3 whip :shrug:

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
I went Whipple 2.3. I love it! The only thing that I wish it had, was the SCREAM of the KB. I went with Whipple because I could not find one single person that had ANY problems AT ALL with them. KB on the other hand seemed to be completely rediculous with issues. Everyone I've talked to personally had issues with their KB. I still go to the KB thread topic here on this site and read about other people that have issues with them. They don't seem to be very reliable.:shrug:

On a side note, the power figures I put down (570/530) is with a VERY conservative tune. My tuner said I could get much more out of it with that boost level, but I'm being safe.

Last edited:

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
i dont have any expierences with either, but i'll be in the market for either or, sometime in the future and i like to read these threads to help me out on my choice.

i was always sold on KB, but i keep reading how efficient Whipples have been, if not more than KB's. so i may get a 2.3 GEN II Whipple for me, or a 2.6H KB.

still not sure lol

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
The shop that does the work on my cars (MPH) is the largest KB dealer so customer service was never an issue.

My GT had a KB 1.7L and now a 2.6H, and I just bought a polished 2.6H for the Cobra. So I suppose you can say I had good experiences with them.

syclone50

Established Member
I had a KB 2.2 on my car for 6 months. Loved the sound of it but the thing went through oil like the car did gas. I then bought a Whipple 2.3 and loved it. Had it for 1 year with out any problems. No issues at all. Know I have a hellion t76 on the car and wished I would have skipped the twinscrew route and went right for the turbo.

forst1

Established Member
go turbo :beer:
i dont know why the kb and whips get so many people stroking them off. a 76 mm turbo performs so close to the ideal that it doesnt make sense why we are on an island with our turbo setups cobrastang161:beer:

MrRob96fs

U like them spinnin tires
Established Member
Here is why turbo sucks. Sorry to hijack the thread but the turbo-tards did before. LOW END TORQUE. Its f***in' awesome to have almost all your boost at 2500 rpm. Not waiting til 4000 rpm to start BUILDING it. Yeah you see higher peak numbers cause the turb doesn't have as much parasitic loss. However power adders are like sex. Some guys with no skill blow real hard, real fast(turbo) and some guys get their women off by working on them the entire time(positive displacement.) If you want a turbo, buy an evo.

End of rant.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Never had a KB, But they are great blowers. Just the package the whipple gives you is much better (Cost, power, and customer service).

I would put both on my car, but the Gen 2 whipple had more to offer at a better price IMO.

firemedic

EH!
Established Member
Had a ported Eaton. Loved the whine and could have been happy with some juice to put it in the 600+ range. (who wouldn't for a street car)!

Put on FR500 heads, cams and Bassani long tubes. Needed to decide between KB2.8 or 3.4 Whipple. Put on the 3.4 Whipple. Pulls and pulls not running out of breath like a KB did on a similiar set up.

Currently running 19#s of boost. Will turn it up later and see if we can hit 25#'s.

I have to admit, I miss the whine of the Eaton and the KB whines to. However it appears the Whipple has more in it and runs like a raped ape.

Depends what you want to do and how crazy you want to get. For me, no regrets so far.

mystic36

Established Member
Here is why turbo sucks. Sorry to hijack the thread but the turbo-tards did before. LOW END TORQUE. Its f***in' awesome to have almost all your boost at 2500 rpm. Not waiting til 4000 rpm to start BUILDING it. Yeah you see higher peak numbers cause the turb doesn't have as much parasitic loss. However power adders are like sex. Some guys with no skill blow real hard, real fast(turbo) and some guys get their women off by working on them the entire time(positive displacement.) If you want a turbo, buy an evo.

End of rant.

That about says it, :lol:

Ronias

Established Member
ok a turbo dont build boost at 4000 rpm.. it has FULL hp and trq and boost at 4000 rpm or 3000 or 2000 depending on what size u go with dumb shit.

Users who are viewing this thread