Overseas buying....

UBNSTRK

SVT GOD
Established Member
Hey guys I am about to purchase two Sony Plasma 42" tv's and was wondering if this guy is legit. Here's what he said we can do to complete the transfer.....

Im Located in London,

I've told you about the UPS 3rd party service, here's how it works: I go and ship the product, UPS sends you a notification mail with a form, you go and make a money transfer to my name at MoneyGram or Western Union, fill in the form with the payment transfer info and send it to UPS, they check if the transfer is OK, ship the package further to you, you check it out and sign a paper that you got exactly what you've paid for, then UPS forwards the payment transfer info to me so I can pick it up.
Long phrase, but I hope you understood the idea. Let me know when you have the money ready, and also send me your complete name and address. By the way, I am located in Europe, but don't worry, I will cover the shipping and insurance costs, as long as you'll take care of the payment transfer fees. If you're not satisfied with the product, you can refuse it and get your money back from the MoneyGram office.

Can anyone help me here?? I am making sure I an not gonna get screwed over.... Thanks for your help

Zach

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If the deal sounds to good to be true it probably is!!

What guarantees that what is in the box is a working Plasma screen or even a TV for that matter?

Plus England is not the home of Technology or good prices.

Be very very weary!

whitey03

Established Member
Why not just COD it? that will cover everything. You send the money when you get your products. One thing though, do you think the UPS guy will hang around for you to unbox your tv and set it up to your satisfaction.

He may, but he would have to be a pretty cool guy.

Third, don't they have different plug-ins over there? ;-)

SVTHorsnake

Banned
try throwing him a pay on delivery service... if he rejects it, that's a first tip off. but go for it anyways, but make sure that such a service as the one he outlines exists and check verify with the company that you send the check their address and verify that it works the way he says it does... if not, tell him to bugger off mate.

:beer:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
oh yeah, seems like alot of trouble to go through to get a product that is abundant here with a little searching... good luck:beer:

rust0r

Established Member
also, with western union, im not 100% sure but i beleive you can pick up the money from any location with not much ID

Bryon

Established Member
Sounds like a ripoff to me. I don't think UPS offers the service he was talking about exists. Here's what would probably happen: He would have someone send you a "notification form" from UPS..probably just some generic UPS form. Then, when you get that, you are supposed to send HIM a money order. THEN you are supposed to send the form to UPS. By the time you realize something is wrong, he is long gone and you've wasted valuable time trying to get UPS to tell you what's going on.

Contact him and tell him you want it shipped C.O.D. I would also contact UPS and ask them about this service to see if it exists.

COBRA32

Established Member
The European TV sets are PAL based so you will not be able to watch regular TV over here because all of the US TV shows are broadcasted in NTSC not PAL

Last edited:

philip

Tweet Tweet Bitch
Established Member
First of all....is the talk about Western Union or Moneygram how your going to pay for the T.V.????? If so, thats yours and his deal, not UPS's. UPS dosent give a DAMN how you pay for the merchandice....Only how you pay to get it there. see below.... I've never heard of the way he describes. And I work there! sounds fishy!

For international billing options other than Prepaid (Bill Shipper), a UPS Waybill is required. UPS offers a choice of up to six billing options depending on the destination country.
Prepaid (Bill Shipper): Shipper pays all shipping charges; consignee or importer pays import duties and value-added tax (VAT)
Bill Receiver: Consignee or importer pays all shipping charges, import duty and VAT
Free on Board (FOB): Shipper pays shipping charges to port of export; consignee pays balance
Cost and Freight (C&F): Shipper pays shipping charges to point of import; consignee pays balance
Delivery Duty Paid, VAT Unpaid: Shipper pays shipping charges and duty; consignee pays VAT
Bill Duty, Tax and Shipping Charges to Shipper: Shipper pays a destination country's duty and tax as well as all shipping charges

philip

Tweet Tweet Bitch
Established Member
P.S.
I even checked UPS's European site and could find nothing he was talking about. Shipping internationally is confusing enough. sounds like he's trying to pull something off. Just my .02

philip

Tweet Tweet Bitch
Established Member
exactly........ their wall outlets are completely different. Shipping 2 tv's internationally will NOT be a pleasant expirence for your wallet.........its probably cheaper to get them here.

Users who are viewing this thread