Overheating Problem.....

Leedog

Clan SVT
Established Member
A friend of mine has an 03 termy. Run of the mill mods, nothing heavy. ON the way home from auto-xing, the car started to run hot, so he pulled over to find that his thermostat was broken...stuck closed.... and water was boiling out of his radiator cap. He disconnected the thermostat for the rest of the drive home, and it ran cold. When he got home, he changed his radiator cap, and a swap to a 160deg. t-stat. When doing the boiling water check, the t-stat. opens just fine. But when the engine is warmed, the system doesn't open until about 210deg according to the gauge. Then, water starts boiling out of the cap. I have heard that once you boil over the reservoir, no cap will ever seat right. Could this leak in the system be causing the t-stat to not open until warmer temps? Is there a simple fix to seal off a res. that has boiled over? Would it hurt to change to a cap that is always sealed? Something doesn't seem right. He has checked to make sure the t-stat is in correctly, completely purged the system, and reflashed his ecu with the diabo sport. Any thoughts?

BackInBlack

Established Member
Isn't there some way to program in to the ECU that a 160 t-stat is installed? I am thinking that just installing it will still cause it to open later. Not sure though. Does your friend have any of the cooling mods? Road racing is hard on these cars without cooling mods even with a stock car.

ponyboy03

Established Member
First, always make sure the system is burped properly using the burp plug and no air exists.
If the temp is anywhere from low to 100C and it's coming out the cap then the cap is bad or the degas bottle is leaking at the threads. If the temps are heading up to 125C and he is getting a leak then check that the fan is coming on around the set temp, if it is then maybe the water pump isn't working properly to circulate the coolant. The thermostat looks to be operating properly.
You can't seal the system or else something will eventually burst. The cap is the path of least resistance (16psi)

NOMANIAC3

Established Member
Im Having The Same Problem Tonite I Went Out For A Little Ride When The Temp Went Over To The Red Side I Pulled Over Let Her Cool Off Remove The Cap No Coolant Call The Old Lady To Bring Some Coolant I Refill It Road A Couple Of Miles It Went Back Into The Red Zone I Wasnt To Far From The House I Pull In The Driveway Pop The Hood Steam Was Coming From Around The Cap And Just All Over Could The Water Pump Be Bad Or Thermostat Be Bad Or Just The Cap ? Damn I Was On My Way To Fun Ford Weekend

Users who are viewing this thread