overheating problem.. help?

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
my mods are apten, 2.80 upper only pulley, predator w/custom tune, ported TB, JLP forced air intake gords fords HE,and had a mezier water pump till i just took it out thinking that this was the cause of the problem for overheating.. nope, then i put in a car quest thermostat and that didnt work either. the cars fans come on blowing on the motor and everything to try to get the temps down, once my coolant temps hit around 246*F i shut her down cause i know that the problem isnt solved. and my temp. guage is going between the H and the middle of the guage also before i shut it down. it never gave me a heating problem till a few days ago and i had the water pump in for about a year now. till today when i tryed to stock one and a different thermostat. as for burping the system, i left the rad. cap off and turned the heat on in the car and nothing happend, just the coolant rose and rose till i capped it so it wouldnt over flow. any thoughts as to how i might be able to fix this problem would be greatful. thanks guys in advance.

Vinny

Last edited:

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
wups, yea i forgot to add all that stuff too, o/R X pipe, magnaflow catback, but i think i got it, i had to burp the system a little bit better then how i did the 1st time. it hasnt heated up since i did that and stays around 202-208* which IMO is nice, but i was wondering if i added a bigger rad. if the temps would come down some.

cobra23

Established Member
Did you try "burping" the crossover tube? It is a black metal tube on the driver's side front of the engine. It has a cap with a square hole in it. I remember reading that by opening this cap and letting trapped air out, it helped some other guys with overheating problems.

Good luck

Cobra23

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Call Evans and get their remote thermostat and lower hose fitting that removes the oil cooler and lets you remote the oil filter, you will see better temps. If you use a Fluidyna or other brand of basically 2X the cooling it will help as well. Look at the LDC cooling mod for better heat control on the drivers side head. One last thing, if you can swing the Evans NPG+ coolant it will help your temp too.

Machinator

Banned
99Blkcobravert said:
Call Evans and get their remote thermostat and lower hose fitting that removes the oil cooler and lets you remote the oil filter, you will see better temps. If you use a Fluidyna or other brand of basically 2X the cooling it will help as well. Look at the LDC cooling mod for better heat control on the drivers side head. One last thing, if you can swing the Evans NPG+ coolant it will help your temp too.

Good info do you have the evans site?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
our cooling system is susceptible to getting air pockets and these can most definitely create overheating, so it is the first thing that should be checked

:read:

Cheyne

Established Member
When I was still running the stock coolant lines I found that by drilling a 1/8" hole in the thermostat helped get air pockets out. When I swapped radiators at the track we had a hard time burping the system. Air would get trapped behind the thermostat. A friend who is a Ford engineer stopped by and suggested the drilling of a hole. This worked great and I went back to just the normal overheating problems that require items like the Evans inlet to fix.

Cheyne

04torchred

Established Member
WicK said:
wups, yea i forgot to add all that stuff too, o/R X pipe, magnaflow catback, but i think i got it, i had to burp the system a little bit better then how i did the 1st time. it hasnt heated up since i did that and stays around 202-208* which IMO is nice, but i was wondering if i added a bigger rad. if the temps would come down some.

That is still way too god damn hot in my opinion. Get a bigger rad and drop the temps down to 180*F. With all the problems like the tick and detonation with these cars keep the temps nice and low to stay clear of that stuff. Plus I am sure your motor will feel stronger when it is running cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread