Overheating Problem/Accessory Problem...help

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
RADIATOR

I got the 96 cobra out yesterday from sitting over the winter and I drove it around some with no problem. Then when I was going down the highway i looked down and I was almost in the red. I pulled over and took the cap off the fill/overflow spot yet it sit and it cooled down. I drove it 20 more miles and had no problem. I drove it some today then with no problem, and then i look down and it is getting warm again. Anyone had this problem or know what is wrong? I am thinking airlock or thermostat is going out.

OTHER SHIT

I have NO speedometer, radio, dome light, power locks, i think no abs, clock. I am lost, I checked the fuses. any help at all here? what do i need to check?

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
Sounds like you have air in the system. Do the coolant burp and keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

mine did the same thing as yours and this was the cause. also ceck the weep hole on your water pump, as it could be on its way out

I know nothing about the mod motors as of right now (i have alway been a pushrod guy), so with that being said...

The coolant burp??? What's this? I have been taking the caps off and leting it run some..does that count???lol

Where/what is the weep hole, and how do i check.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Ahhh, thank God for making it so we have to burp the coolant system in our modular motors. ;)

I read hundreds of tutorials on this when my Mach 1 was overheating, because I removed the cap while the car was still WARM.

There is a cap on the crossover tube right where the lower radiator hose connects to.

What you do is jack up the front end of the car, or put it on ramps to place this filler hole at the highest point. (It's already the highest point in the coolant system.)

Let the car cool down considerably, and remove both the filler cap on the crossover tube, and the expansion tank.

You ALWAYS fill the coolant from the crossover tube. So fill it up until the coolant in the expansion tank reaches the fill line, and cap it off.

Then fill up the crossover tube until it reaches the top.

Now this is where people differ their techniques. You can leave a funnel in the tube and let the car run to see if any bubbles come out of the system, and fill it up, or put the cap back on, let the car run for a while, and turn it off and let it cool, and fill the tube one last time.

After that, DONE! :) It's all in the SVT manual, but I guess not everybody has one of those. ;) I try to NEVER open my expansion tank unless I have to. Air usually gets into the system that way.

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
Ahhh, thank God for making it so we have to burp the coolant system in our modular motors. ;)

I read hundreds of tutorials on this when my Mach 1 was overheating, because I removed the cap while the car was still WARM.

There is a cap on the crossover tube right where the lower radiator hose connects to.

What you do is jack up the front end of the car, or put it on ramps to place this filler hole at the highest point. (It's already the highest point in the coolant system.)

Let the car cool down considerably, and remove both the filler cap on the crossover tube, and the expansion tank.

You ALWAYS fill the coolant from the crossover tube. So fill it up until the coolant in the expansion tank reaches the fill line, and cap it off.

Then fill up the crossover tube until it reaches the top.

Now this is where people differ their techniques. You can leave a funnel in the tube and let the car run to see if any bubbles come out of the system, and fill it up, or put the cap back on, let the car run for a while, and turn it off and let it cool, and fill the tube one last time.

After that, DONE! :) It's all in the SVT manual, but I guess not everybody has one of those. ;) I try to NEVER open my expansion tank unless I have to. Air usually gets into the system that way.

Awesome, I am pumped now. I really hope this is my problem. I have 2 manuals and one is in the back seat. I will get it and read it, to be honest I never really thought about looking in there.

So should i jack it up and then fill it to the top of the crossover after i let it sit, or should i completely drain it and start from fresh? I would rather not do that cause of money. and it the fill spot that really hard part to get out thing that everyone ends up putting a nut on? If i should do all new coolant how much do i need to buy? I am really glad for the help and i hope that i can make it home w/o getting hot.

ANYONE HAVE A IDEA ON THE OTHER ELECTRICAL SHIT????

thanks immortal

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I'm lost to the electrical problems... I was thinking fuses, or ground. Just make sure all connections are tight, and no rust / corrosion.

Do you have under drive pulleys?

Also, the filler cap on the crossover tube isn't that hard to get off, or back on. I've had no problem whatsoever with it. Perhaps I just have the right tools, who knows!

There's no reason to fill the entire thing back up. But if you've never flushed the coolant, and you've had the car for more than 10k-15k miles, I would do it, and add some water wetter for sure! :)

tt54l32v

Established Member
your electrical prob could have your fan not working which could explain the overheating, but i would still burp it any way. i always take the plug out and the cap off, fill it through both till the plug wont take anymore and squeeze the hoses till all the air is out.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Sounds like you need to take another look at ALL your fuses. Driver side fusebox and underneath the hood.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
By the book I have Fuse 8 (10 amps) inside the car runs the Speed-o, Dome light, and the radio. I am betting it runs the rest as well.

Users who are viewing this thread