Overheating/ Low battery Voltage

west08

Established Member
I have an 01 Cobra and going to local cruises, my coolant temp will stay at 200 F without the A/C on, but when I put the A/C it will keep creeping up but I shut it off when it reaches 215ish and it will slowly drop back to to usually 205.

I noticed that my battery voltage has been around 13.2ish pretty much all the time which seems kinda low to me. With the A/C, is it possible the alternator isn't pushing enough amperage for both the A/C and the high speed fan?

I just replaced the battery and still have the same issue. Any ideas?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Stock cooling system? Stock T-stat?
Those temps are totally normal. IIRC Hi speed fan doesn't turn on til 212 or so and the extra load of A/C can cause temps to creep even though fan is running.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
212* -215* is not overheating.

Although water boils in a pan at 212* , in a closed system,as in a car, I believe 225 - 230 depending on elevation .

If your over flow is not puking , and the level is staying at the warm Indictator on the tank, assuming you still have the stock tank, all is good.

As for the charging, a battery is a storage device, the alternator does the work.
13.2 seems a little on the low side, but you did not say what engine rpm you got that reading.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I have heard the stock alternators can be in the high 12's but usually when opening it up a bit especially in modified cars. I don't think low 13's is terrible?

railroad

Established Member
Spray the front side of the AC radiator and the engine radiator with some Simply Green or Castrol Super Clean, while it is cool. Let it set for a couple of minutes and rinse from both sides. Voltage does seem low. Get one of the parts stores to check it out.

west08

Established Member
Well, when it gets to 210-215 I shut off the A/C and it drops. If I leave it on it has gone as far as 230 which I turned it off at that point.

100% stock as far as I know. Its got a chip from Alternative Auto from the previous owner. Don't know if fan settings were changed or not.

Battery voltage has been 13.2 pretty much all the time no matter what engine speed. Occasionally goes up to 13.4-13.5 for short times. And tonight coming back from the Woodward Dream Cruise with the lights on and A/C blasting, battery voltage would go to 12.5-12.6 at idle at stoplights which I know is too low even for idle.

railroad

Established Member
Might want to check and make sure someone did not install underdrive pulleys, could be causing both problems.

west08

Established Member
Might want to check and make sure someone did not install underdrive pulleys, could be causing both problems.

Nope, just the ugly rusted stock pullies.

I did get the alternator tested at Advanced Auto and O'Reilly Auto. Passed at Advance and voltage regulator failed at O'Reilly.

Users who are viewing this thread