Overheating BADLY in Traffic!

qkslvr221

Established Member
Well, tonight I was driving in traffic and the temp gauge went up to the L (usually it stays on the "O" of "NORMAL") and the car started smoking, so I pulled over and it looks like the coolant was so hot that it started to evaporate! I limped home and upon further inspection there was a strong burnt plastic smell coming from the fan area. Now I know these fans are electric, but are they supposed to turn by hand? The fan doesn't seem to be coming on and it will not move by hand more than an inch. The coolant level is fine, any ideas? :shrug:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I can turn mine by hand. It seems that maybe your fan seized?

qkslvr221

Established Member
I can turn mine by hand. It seems that maybe your fan seized?

I thought it might have, all my other cars with electric fans spin just fine by hand. How difficult is it to replace the motor?

Sounds like the problem to me. I just checked mine, it'll spin by hand.

Thanks for checking, I'll poke around some more tomorrow and see if there's anything blocking the blades just in case.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
fans are easy to replace, there is a place in Apopka called Mustang Recyclers. give him a call he should have a few laying around. I'm not sure if you can just replace the motor..

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
if your going to replace a fan I know there is a 96-98 being parted out in market section and he is selling a fan...

MouTine

Established Member
It should spin freely when you turn it by hand. I think it's bearings of fan motor that are toasted. My original fan was allso close to that point when I replaced it with two highspeed fans. Actualy I heard bearing noise over the air flow.

qkslvr221

Established Member
Well this is odd, apparently ford switched fans mid-97 year, the one mentioned for sale is the newer style and has an external plug connector
CarParts048.gif

Thing is, mine is the earlier style (my car is one of the first 97s made) and has the plug connector inside instead, so I'm not sure if the plug is the same. Mine is a 3-wire setup if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread