Over spinning power steering pump?!

96snake719

Established Member
Just curious as to what you guys with larger crank pulleys are doing about the power steering pump... I've been through 3 of them so far because I've been told in the past not to worry about the pulley size on it... Last night was the worst when it went at 6k Rpms and damn near slung the belt trough the hood I thought I blew the motor... Is there a certain pulley size I'm looking for here guys? Cause it's pretty obvious that the 10 percent overdrive crank Atleast for me is spinning the thing way to fast and causing it to fail... Any insight would be greatly appreciated guys thank you.

96snake719

Established Member
Its not locking up because it spins freely... I have no idea what is happening to it... the previous 2 just stopped working all the sudden no power steering that's it this last one was really went out! the car started acting up right before it went this last time, when I would hit 6k the car would feel like it would flat line and just stop making power... and then it would be fine it almost felt like a serious case of belt slip or something like when it got to a certain rpm fluid got shot on the belt and caused it to slip or something :shrug:... is it normal to see the fluid churning in the reservoir with the cap off?

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Not sure but mine started leaking now with the new engine. Wonder if I'm having a similar issue. When I checked the reservoir I would see churning as well.

96snake719

Established Member
I really need to put a larger pulley on I believe... Just pulled the blown up one off took the bearing and seal right out of it... does anybody know of a larger power steering pump pulley that will fit the pump? probably like 6.5 inches in diameter and 8 rib?

96snake719

Established Member
Guys I REALLY need your help on this! My cars been down over a week now cause my mechanic doesn't want to put a 4th power steering pump on just so I can blow that one and bring it back! Does anybody know of a larger diameter pulley I can put on to slow the pump down I've searched and I can't find anything... Part number, input... Something!

Ruslow

Established Member
I would be looking at teh serp belt.may be to tight for p/s pump.Is it inbetween the marks on the tensioner?I would put have the belt on the loose side of the tensioner range.More than likely that is the problem.STan

Users who are viewing this thread