Over heating need help

cobralover03

Established Member
I have a 2002 2v tork tech supercharged mustang and I'm over heating for some random reason after my tune. What are some things I can do to figure this out? Never had this problem pretty much brand new thermostat. Need some help thanks

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Are you sure the thermostat is opening? Feel the hose after the housing that connects to the radiator; if it isn't warm your thermostats not opening. Did they tune or for the correct temperature thermostat? Have you made sure you opened the bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing to release any air in the system? Is your coolant level low?

cobralover03

Established Member
Thanks for the reply and I'm not sure whether or not we were tuning to a certain temp but I know he told me in all my runs the temp was at a Max of 194 so I'm pretty sure that's fine. I tested my thermostat and it opens maybe an eight of an inch maybe quarter. Is that not good? How far should it open? Also check coolant levels just bought two new bottles of 50/50 so ill top that off. I was thinking maybe radiator problems but I'm thinking my thermostat is bad and should open more. What's a good thermostat brand to purchase or buy the OEM one. I want a 180 degree one right?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Thanks for the reply and I'm not sure whether or not we were tuning to a certain temp but I know he told me in all my runs the temp was at a Max of 194 so I'm pretty sure that's fine. I tested my thermostat and it opens maybe an eight of an inch maybe quarter. Is that not good? How far should it open? Also check coolant levels just bought two new bottles of 50/50 so ill top that off. I was thinking maybe radiator problems but I'm thinking my thermostat is bad and should open more. What's a good thermostat brand to purchase or buy the OEM one. I want a 180 degree one right?

Reische (spelling?) makes good thermostats, I can't remember what brand I purchased but a quick google search should yield that information. I feel as if when the tuner says your temps never exceeded 194 he believes you have the stock thermostat in the car, because I believe stock is 192 degrees. This could be your issue if the tune isn't for a 180. I'm honestly not sure how that all works inside the tune, hopefully someone can chime in with that info but I would personally talk to him and see if maybe the problem does lie in the tune. Good luck!

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Also check to make sure the fan is kicking on after the tune - or find out what points/temps it's set to come on for.

Users who are viewing this thread