Outter CV removal???

NoRotor

Established Member
Can anyone tell me how to remove the outter CV from the axle shaft?

Thanks!
Jesse

NoRotor

Established Member
I found this info on the web. Does it sound right to you guys?

AXLE DISASSEMBLY (outer cv joint removal)
1) Remove the outer cv clamps and boot.
2) Drive the outer joint off the shaft. Use a large hammer and brass (soft) drift. Hitting only the inner portion next to the shaft, rotating the shaft as you go. You may need to slide the snap ring out of the way to get a good shot at it.(Mine took just a few solid hits to collapse the snap ring, then it just slid off with just a few light taps. In some cases the cv joint
will end up cutting through the snap ring instead of collapsing it. If so remember to remove all the pieces out of the cv joint. (Others have used a 1 1/2" pipe coupler with a 1 1/2" to 2" adapter slid over the axle to hammer on.)

Thanks!
Jesse

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
we dont usually take the outer stub off. perhaps someone that has cannibalized multiple stock axles to make one good one can chime in.

we usually snarf the inner joint for aftermarket axles. the outer stub shaft is what breaks. when putting multiple axles together to make one good one, we usually just replace the inner.

sorry i'm not more help.

NoRotor

Established Member
Unfortunately, I have to take the outter of to re-use the axle shaft. It sucks because, as you stated, noone ever does this!

I do appreciate the posts, Shelby.

Jesse

Users who are viewing this thread