Outer tie rod wear

Dekorum

Established Member
I am about to get new inner and outer tie rods because they are worn pretty bad. I am lowered almost 2 inches and I was wondering if I should get a bump steer kit in place of regular outer tie rods? I would prefer not to pay the extra money because I heard it is very hard to notice when you need a bump steer kit, but I am wondering if my new outer tie rods would wear faster because I am lowered? If they are going to wear out quick then I would rather get the bump steer..

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I am about to get new inner and outer tie rods because they are worn pretty bad. I am lowered almost 2 inches and I was wondering if I should get a bump steer kit in place of regular outer tie rods? I would prefer not to pay the extra money because I heard it is very hard to notice when you need a bump steer kit, but I am wondering if my new outer tie rods would wear faster because I am lowered? If they are going to wear out quick then I would rather get the bump steer..

Yes you would benefit from a bump steer kit. Being lowered 2" you have to consider the out of spec angle your steering rod arms are in & in suspension travel it is more severe. My bro's 94GT is also lowered 2" & we went through 2 sets of outter tie rod ends before settling in on Baer bump steer kit. A bump steer kit won't fix the problem, only lessen the effect. It isn't very hard to notice if you need it. Get on the hwy or rough road and speed through the roughness on the road & you'll deffinately feel the squirly action.

Dekorum

Established Member
Ah. Yeah I don't really care about feeling the effects of not having a bump steer kit because I barely drive on the highway. So that pretty much answered my question, that you went through 2 sets of outer tie rods.. That means regular outer tie rods wear quickly when lowered?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
We had a severe angle problem to the point where the inner tie rod shaft that is hooked to the shteering column was actually rubbing on the steering column's housing durning suspension/turning travel. The stock tie rod ends were being pushed beyond spec and thus wearing out prematurely. Most people will tell you you might not need them but you should check the angle of the steering column arms and look at the tie rods angle (or ask your alignment tech). I'd say get them and improve your steering & handling. The kit's aren't that expensive & are easy to install. Don't get the spindle drill version (unless you want to drill the spindle PITA), get the tappered bolt through version.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member

Last time I had to do this, I found that a rebuilt rack&pinion comes with new inner tie rods and wasnt much more money than buying the inner tie rods by themselves. Might be worth looking into...

Dekorum

Established Member
That is exactly what my mechanic told me! The only problem is that I can't find a rack and pinion that is near the price of the inner tie rods by themselves.. Where can I find one that you are talking about?

Dekorum

Established Member
I have a 94. I know 94-95 racks are different than 96-98. Anyway, do you remember where you got your rebuilt one from? I am sure the 94-95 one is the same price..

Dekorum

Established Member

Toasty

Established Member
Sorry for teh late reply. My local Mustang shop (www.themustangshop.ca) ordered it for me from a local parts warehouse. I would assume Napa or Autozone/Autovalu would have the same kit. Again. my experience is with Fox racks, not for our cars. Maybe the hydroboost setup makes a huge diff?

Users who are viewing this thread