Outdoor security system

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Due to some undesirables (drug addict jailbirds) moving in with (leeching off of) their family members on our road, I'm interested in putting up a few cameras around my garage and my sheds out back. I've browsed Amazon trying to find something that will do what I want but I'm not sure what's worth spending money on and what's not. I'd like something that's wireless, at least from the DVR to the camera. My sheds are 2-300' from my garage, there is power run out there but I'd rather not have to run another line. I'd only need 3-4 cameras at most. Any recommendations for a decent system that is in the $500 range or cheaper?

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Nest/Drop Cam.
They have nice stuff.Wireless and Cloud recording.They are a little expensive but worth it.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Nest/Drop Cam.
They have nice stuff.Wireless and Cloud recording.They are a little expensive but worth it.

We have a Samsung camera that's nearly identical to the Nest that we use as a baby monitor. Those would be ideal but unfortunately our log house absolutely kills any wifi signal as soon as you go out the door. I'd have to run Cat5/6 cables out to my garage and put up a WAP in order to get signal there and in my sheds. With a self contained system I could just stick the DVR/receiver in the garage and its signal should reach everywhere that I need to put a camera. I'm not worried about being able to live view the cameras from my phone or anything, just want them recording in case anything walks off.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
We have a Samsung camera that's nearly identical to the Nest that we use as a baby monitor. Those would be ideal but unfortunately our log house absolutely kills any wifi signal as soon as you go out the door. I'd have to run Cat5/6 cables out to my garage and put up a WAP in order to get signal there and in my sheds. With a self contained system I could just stick the DVR/receiver in the garage and its signal should reach everywhere that I need to put a camera. I'm not worried about being able to live view the cameras from my phone or anything, just want them recording in case anything walks off.

I have installed some of the Zmodo brand systems sold on Ebay.They have a large variety of packaged systems that are pretty inexpensive.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Those Arlo's look pretty cool. Wonder what real world battery life is like.

I went ahead and ordered cable to run to the garage and a WAP to put up. I didn't really want to have to bury any cable but this will give me the option to just add more of the Samsung cameras like I already have, and will give me wifi in the garage which is kind of a pain to not have currently.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
You might have already thought of this, but I'd have whoever's doing your run to put in a 2 inch conduit rather than direct burial cable.

Have them pull your CAT cable and a string.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You might have already thought of this, but I'd have whoever's doing your run to put in a 2 inch conduit rather than direct burial cable.

Have them pull your CAT cable and a string.

That person would be me. :(

Good idea on the conduit, I was thinking about just taking an edger and cutting a "trench" to lay the cable in but I might do it that way instead. The run from the house to the garage will only be about 50'.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Those Arlo's look pretty cool. Wonder what real world battery life is like.

I went ahead and ordered cable to run to the garage and a WAP to put up. I didn't really want to have to bury any cable but this will give me the option to just add more of the Samsung cameras like I already have, and will give me wifi in the garage which is kind of a pain to not have currently.

I have heard that the batteries last 3 to 4 months.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Could get some German Shepherds, best home defense lol

That would an upgrade over my basset hounds. They have no problem barking at someone/something, but if it comes to actually running after them..... meh, the couch looks pretty comfortable. :D

Users who are viewing this thread