Out of town officer pulled me over and had me ticketed in Texas, need help!

garner

Established Member
Well I was driving down the highway in Harker Heights/Nolanville, TX(city limits are very close to where I was) when I come upon a police car doing about 68 in a 75 in the left lane. After about a mile, I go into the right lane in order to get beside him and see what city he is from, before deciding if I want to pass. Well he is from Killeen, TX(next town over) so I precede to pass him and get back into the left lane. At that time I was going about 85 in the 75, and continue to drive for about 2 miles then get off the highway(speed limit dropped to 65 right before I got off the highway). Well the Killeen officer continues to follow me for another mile or so and then flips on his lights(we are now fully in Harker Heights), I pull into a shopping plaza and stop.

He asks me for the usual license and insurance, then I ask him why he pulled me over outside of his city. A couple seconds later he radios for a Harker Heights officer to come give assistance. The Harker Heights officer proceeds to give me a ticket for speeding(20 over, based on pacing), following to closely, and window tint. I asked him how this was possible and he states that he is the ticketing officer, while the Killeen officer is a witness. However he did not write the Killeen officer's name or badge # on the ticket as a witness.

My questions:
Is it legal for an officer from out of town to pull over a vehicle?
Is it legal for the out of town officer to call an in town officer to issue the ticket?
How do I go about doing a motion of discovery for the Killeen officer's evidence without having his information?
Can the following to closely really stick if the officer is impeding flow of traffic?
How do I know if the tint is just a fix it ticket, or a full on offense?

Yes I understand I was wrong for my actions that led to getting pulled over. No I am not getting a lawyer as that would cost $500 for pretrial and another $1,000 if it went to trial.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Depends on Texas laws...

Nevada for instance, recognizes a police officer's authority throughout the state. An officer from Reno can stop and cite someone in Las Vegas.

In your instance, it may be different. The citing officer is using the other officer as a witness. Even though he didn't print the officer's information on your copy, doesn't mean it didn't get noted. The citations my agency utilize have a probable cause statement section on the back of the officer's copy. It gets filled out at a later time and doesn't appear on the copy the violator receives.

kook911

Established Member
In texas police have the ability to enforce law whatever they are in TX. But most officers do not just bc they are not in their city.

Yes it is legal

The important thing here is that the other officer, the one that witness the event will have to show up at court. As the officer that issued the tickets will also have to show.

sav03cobra

Established Member
So keep rescheduling them court dates and pushing them. It's going to be hard to get two different beats at the same court. Walk in and get them dropped.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So keep rescheduling them court dates and pushing them. It's going to be hard to get two different beats at the same court. Walk in and get them dropped.
boy you are just a fountain of helpful information ….. NOT! perhaps you should stick to how things work in hawaii

Woody6799

Established Member
Don't do this... just talk to the prosecutor and make a deal. Dress nice and apologize alot. (ps never ask an officer question insinuating he is wrong, per say, "I ask him why he pulled me over outside of his city" Just leaves a bad taste you know?

SINCE YOU ASKED, IN NJ
My questions:
Is it legal for an officer from out of town to pull over a vehicle? Yes
Is it legal for the out of town officer to call an in town officer to issue the ticket?Yes
How do I go about doing a motion of discovery for the Killeen officer's evidence without having his information?File it with the court, request pace certifications
Can the following to closely really stick if the officer is impeding flow of traffic?Yes
How do I know if the tint is just a fix it ticket, or a full on offense? Call the court

sav03cobra

Established Member
boy you are just a fountain of helpful information ….. NOT! perhaps you should stick to how things work in hawaii

Guess I should of mentioned thats how it is here. Lol. In Hawaii. I scheduled a time early in the morning, dressed nice, officer failed to show. Judge dropped everything. I'm sure it varies per state and your local laws but hey. Lol

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Well I was driving down the highway in Harker Heights/Nolanville, TX(city limits are very close to where I was) when I come upon a police car doing about 68 in a 75 in the left lane. After about a mile, I go into the right lane in order to get beside him and see what city he is from, before deciding if I want to pass. Well he is from Killeen, TX(next town over) so I precede to pass him and get back into the left lane. At that time I was going about 85 in the 75, and continue to drive for about 2 miles then get off the highway(speed limit dropped to 65 right before I got off the highway). Well the Killeen officer continues to follow me for another mile or so and then flips on his lights(we are now fully in Harker Heights), I pull into a shopping plaza and stop.

He asks me for the usual license and insurance, then I ask him why he pulled me over outside of his city. A couple seconds later he radios for a Harker Heights officer to come give assistance. The Harker Heights officer proceeds to give me a ticket for speeding(20 over, based on pacing), following to closely, and window tint. I asked him how this was possible and he states that he is the ticketing officer, while the Killeen officer is a witness. However he did not write the Killeen officer's name or badge # on the ticket as a witness.

My questions:
Is it legal for an officer from out of town to pull over a vehicle?
Is it legal for the out of town officer to call an in town officer to issue the ticket?
How do I go about doing a motion of discovery for the Killeen officer's evidence without having his information?
Can the following to closely really stick if the officer is impeding flow of traffic?
How do I know if the tint is just a fix it ticket, or a full on offense?

Yes I understand I was wrong for my actions that led to getting pulled over. No I am not getting a lawyer as that would cost $500 for pretrial and another $1,000 if it went to trial.

simply put as others have commented this is a legal citation (while quite a bit of d-baggery). the best thing you can do is contact the court for that information. I am not familiar with your area so it may be a municipal court or a justice of the peace. If all else fails go to the court date and ask about the tint and if you can schedule another date to show proof of repair. As for the speeding if you have not had any previous violations ask for defensive driving. it will allow you to take care of the ticket without getting any penalties towards your license.

musclefan21

Established Member
We can initiate stops in other jurisdiction. Not something we do often as we have our hands full in our own city, but nothing that can't happen.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Don't do this... just talk to the prosecutor and make a deal. Dress nice and apologize alot. (ps never ask an officer question insinuating he is wrong, per say, "I ask him why he pulled me over outside of his city" Just leaves a bad taste you know?

this is not really true. I have taken a few tickets to court. grilled the cop in front of the judge … but did it respectfully my won-loss record is not that great but I have won a couple.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Seriously what were you thinking going 20 over in front of any cop? I hope you can get off with court costs...but you got to use some common sense....that's basically taunting the cop if you do that in front of them.

scott_0

Established Member
as said, different states vary, but here in Pa, if Im out of my jurisdiction, and see a violation, I can legally pull you over, do as this officer did and contact the agency whos jurisdiction it is, wait for them to arrive, they will write a citation, in the notes will go all my (or in your case the officers information) information and Id have to testify in court. Id really only do this in extreme cases, just read where he wrote you for 20 over, that is a good bit over, still dont know I would have done it myself........

Last edited:

Rings

Established Member
Next time you do this, do NOT ask the cop about jurisdiction!! Hope that he writes where its at and then fight in court.

However, it is now time to BEG for mercy from the courts!! You screwed up, own up to it and take your whippings like a man...

Good luck

garner

Established Member
Just left the docket call thing. Prosecutor said he couldn't give me deferred disposition because I've taken defensive driving in the past year, even though that doesn't matter. Then he gave me 120 day deferred disposition for the window tint. I'm so confused but it's done

Kenneth

Established Member
Take it to court.
Had a state trooper try that with one of my son's not too long ago.
He had to go to court I believe 3 times, last time they just dropped everything. (trooper never showed)

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Take it to court.
Had a state trooper try that with one of my son's not too long ago.
He had to go to court I believe 3 times, last time they just dropped everything. (trooper never showed)

I am betting that you didn't read the last post in the thread before posting......

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Seriously what were you thinking going 20 over in front of any cop? I hope you can get off with court costs...but you got to use some common sense....that's basically taunting the cop if you do that in front of them.

If the speed limit was 75mph....OP should have moved to the right lane went 75 and passed the cop....following too closely and tint were bonuses

Users who are viewing this thread