Our 13 and 14 GT500 were still Awesome. New GT500

stanger1

Established Member
Group, After seeing the new GT500, I really need to win the Lottery now. That thing is beautiful.
But when they were giving the performance spec's, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in under 11 seconds.
Our 13-14's do the 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, 1/4 mile is not as good, but as has been shown, put a 6R80 and mild tuning and these cars are right there. Even with the 6 speed, TR6060, they are right there. Just shows just how good these are.
It was like Ford had forgot about the the last GT500 and it's 5.8.
Granted, the new one will be an incredible car, multi talented, road course, you name it, but it will be close to $100,000. for the R model, if there is one, Carbon Fiber wheels, wings, etc.
Carol Shelby used to say he made cars for the Work'n man.
The Work'n Man must make more than I do LOL.
Still happy with my 13.
But I would get The New One if I could.

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
I think the new GT500 looks ok.. It's a bit too ricer for me but, it still looks good. My main gripe with the new car would be, I can't believe they used the gt350 engine block. My 2013 has a proprietary engine only to the GT500. That's how the GT500 always was, it wasn't a parts borrower. I'm wondering how they lost that mindset along the way.

I know they're are differences between the new GT500 and GT350. But for me to Shell out 70-100k of my money on one, this car isn't special enough. To me it's a GT350 with a dct and blower.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

railroad

Established Member
I have a 13 also. I added a few bolt ons and love and respect the car. I blinked my eyes and the 5.8 is no where to be mentioned. Everything is the 5.0 and 5.2.
I would like to make a few street passes against some of the average 5.0s and see what they are about.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I think the new GT500 looks ok.. It's a bit too ricer for me but, it still looks good. My main gripe with the new car would be, I can't believe they used the gt350 engine block. My 2013 has a proprietary engine only to the GT500. That's how the GT500 always was, it wasn't a parts borrower. I'm wondering how they lost that mindset along the way.

I know they're are differences between the new GT500 and GT350. But for me to Shell out 70-100k of my money on one, this car isn't special enough. To me it's a GT350 with a dct and blower.

The 07-09 used a truck 5.4 block. With upgraded internals and 32v heads taken from the ford GT project.

I dont see the problem with them using the 5.2 block from the gt350. The internals are alot different between the 2. Gt350 uses Flat plane crank with internals not made for boost. New gt500 uses 5.2 with cross plane crank and much stronger internals made for boost.

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Yeah, I agree.. I didn't think about the 5.4 truck engine from that era. I guess Im still bummed out about the release. I just kind of expected a car more like our 13-14s, more drag orientated.. Ford already has 3 track cars, now 4. Ford GT, GT350, GT350R, and now GT500.

stanger1

Established Member
Just a little off topic, but I noticed yesterday, right after the GT500 preview, Roush jumped all over that with advertising. The 2019 RS3. Yes, close on everything, but loses value quickly. Thought that was a great opportunity for them.

Last edited:

Robot_trainer

Established Member

The 5.8 exclusivity is a double edge sword. On the on hand it helps with the uniqueness, however, it will be very difficult to source parts in the next few years unless the aftermarket steps up, but then again the market has a limited pool to draw from(8000-9000 cars with many of them being written off already). I'm kinda "meh" on the new one. The front looks too Hyundai-ish in my opinion, and the spoiler a bit Honda-ish. The 5.2 is a more modern engines and has a lot of similarities to the Coyote so parts wont be a problem and while I do like stick both for simplicity and driving fun, the DCT will transform the car and make it a much better all around performer.

Beercules

Established Member
And I think I read where the new one will have real forged rods!

They must have some good traction control for the new one... that's the biggest issue with the 13-14.

I wonder if the DCT will play nice with the 8.8 diffs or if owners will still need to upgrade... still easier than changing con rods.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
The new GT 500's looks, doesn't knock me out, yet. Wide front albeit with lots of inter-coolers. Don't really like the front down force tack-ons or the big rear wing. Some mixed observations:

No Convertible available, I guess? Had a Terminator, then 09, 12, and now 14 Gt 500. All Verts.

No stick available, HMMM. Well at least give us a shifter. The Rotary Dial is right out of the Fusion... Weak..
12 lb's of Boost confirmed by the Chief Engineer to C/D. He said don't pulley it down as it will upset the "holistic" tuning, or IE grenade the motor... Double HMMM. Bigger Blower running less boost than our 2.3 Blower. Kind of doesn't add up. One report said expect about 720 HP, 650 TQ. Forged Internals?? 3.73 Torsen Rear.. Same Blower internals as the New ZR1 Corvette which runs I think 14 lb's of Boost.

Looking forward to some Road Tests....

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I gotta be honest, I didn't like the new GT500 at first.
But, after reading more about it and seeing it, I kinda want one. The Track Pak with all the carbon fiber, the big wing and rear seat delete which I believe is part of that package anyways. I like the Twister Orange with black stripes.
Just waiting on pricing for this bad boy. I'm going to guess about 80-85K?? Just a guess. If it's around that price range and I could find a dealership that would order it as I wanted, I'd gladly pay MSRP if I got what I wanted for my trade. (That's "IF" it is around 80-85K for the Track Pak carbon fiber package. lol)

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I gotta be honest, I didn't like the new GT500 at first.
But, after reading more about it and seeing it, I kinda want one. The Track Pak with all the carbon fiber, the big wing and rear seat delete which I believe is part of that package anyways. I like the Twister Orange with black stripes.
Just waiting on pricing for this bad boy. I'm going to guess about 80-85K?? Just a guess. If it's around that price range and I could find a dealership that would order it as I wanted, I'd gladly pay MSRP if I got what I wanted for my trade. (That's "IF" it is around 80-85K for the Track Pak carbon fiber package. lol)

Agreed, the more I look the more my loins yearn for one. It is kind of a cross b/w a demon and and a ZR1 IMO. Will be a few years before I get one though.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed, the more I look the more my loins yearn for one. It is kind of a cross b/w a demon and and a ZR1 IMO. Will be a few years before I get one though.
Nice!!!
I would take a ZR1 over any of those mentioned. ZR1 is beast. lol

paluka21

Established Member
I get that many consumers believe this car will have high ADM’s, however I don’t understand why Ford would start the price tag at $80k+?
For comparisons sake:
2019 Challenger Hellcat starts at $65k
2019 Charger Hellcat starts at $68k which by the way are sold in all automatics.
2019 Corvette Z06 starting at $81k, which by the way Ford typically doesn’t price their GT500 models in this cars range.
2019 Camaro ZL1 starting at $64K.

In my opinion the GT500 base will be competitive in price with the above, minus the Z06. I predict base at $67-68k with options for the track pack going up to $82k.
The problem is, dealers will drive up the price with ADM’s and people will pay it.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Don't / didn't care for the looks of the S550, that's why I ordered my 14.
..........( that & the lack of hp )
So ( 6 ) MY's later, a new GT500 is set to hit the streets, still has that S550 look.
No glass roof, no 6 speed, doesn't seem to fit MY idea of what a GT500 should be.
We still don't know it's ( crank ) hp rating yet, but I'm confident it will be less than what I'm currently driving. The DCT is fast, but if you enjoy driving a stick, it doesn't matter how fast it is.
Still happy with my 14, & it isn't going anywhere !!
Breakfast-run-10-22-2013-007.jpg

GSRMC-Sept-2015-show-19-Sept-2015-001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread