Other TOB Symptoms

RJCobra

Established Member
What are some other symptoms when a TOB is going bad, other than the noise? Does it make it harder to shift? Notchier?

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I have never heard of anything other than noise unless the bearing gets so bad it was to seize that is all I can think of if that is even possible. I dont think anyone really waits that long the damn noise is so annoying.

trendkilllx

Established Member
my retainer broke before I had the steel upgrade retainer installation under warranty. You can definately tell when the retainer goes.

RJCobra

Established Member
I only have the noise right now, but it definitely feels like its shifting a little rougher.
Could be my imagination though.

trendkilllx

Established Member
I had an original early 03 T56, which I still have in the car with 38k miles now. After 3 bad TOBs all replaced under warranty the bearing retainer broke. I took the car to a well known dealer and they contacted ford. They pulled the transmission and had a trans guy check it out, alignment of everything. They ended up keeping the transmission but replacing the retainer, TOB, pressure plate, clutch, and pilot bearing and flywheel all under warranty. The original pressure plate was much heavier and the original flywheel had hot spots. Also the original clutch engagement was kind of rough, even when it was new. The clutch action now still a little heavier than a 2003 gt with the stock setup. I also think it grabs better than the original setup did.

Users who are viewing this thread