OT: Montoya leaving F1

Andy M

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I think he has LOADS of talent. He just runs his mouth too much.

Again, this is just Andy's opinion. YMMV!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It will be interesting at the least. Lots of guys have tried to make the jump but few have succeeded. Compared to an F1 car a Cup car will be like driving a dump truck.............that's loaded! :dw:

Now that Nascar will be going to the common body it should really become more and more like the IROC series! :bored:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

b4409

Established Member
Hey - it's a new reason to watch nascar! From what I gather;

1) Major plus for latino fans - Nascar goes international
2) Bubba and his good ol boys will have a new target for wall practice
3) He was about to be unemployed in F1
4) Danica should be moving over soon to keep him company

bb

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
: Now that Nascar will be going to the common body it should really become more and more like the IROC series! :bored:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

really the ford cars have no more advantage over chevy than bud has over miller? in other words they are not racing stock cars anymore they are just racing for sponsorships. what will happen to the manufacturer points race? will they come up with the major sponsors point race? will other major sponsors be able to sponsor more than one car?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Andy M said:
Don't get me wrong, I think he has LOADS of talent. He just runs his mouth too much.

Again, this is just Andy's opinion. YMMV!

So does that mean him and Gordon will be best friends or worst enemies? :pop:

JorgeG

Established Member
I would try to watch nascar but with the benadryl i would need to take from going round and round :xpl: :xpl: i would probably fall asleep watching it :poke: :burnout: . Oh wait i dont need benadryl to fall asleep watching it now! :sleeping: :lol:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JorgeG said:
I would try to watch nascar but with the benadryl i would need to take from going round and round :xpl: :xpl: i would probably fall asleep watching it :poke: :burnout: . Oh wait i dont need benadryl to fall asleep watching it now! :sleeping: :lol:

Watching a Nascar race is a great thing to do to lull you to sleep for a nap. I used to be so good at it I would time my nap to wake up with 20 laps to go!! :-D

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Watching a Nascar race is a great thing to do to lull you to sleep for a nap. I used to be so good at it I would time my nap to wake up with 20 laps to go!! :-D

Thats what my dad does. We have a good system where I go do something else once he falls asleep and when he wakes up for the end of the race he yells at me to come watch the last several laps :lol:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
b4409 said:
4) Danica should be moving over soon to keep him company
I actually found this possible defection more interesting than Montoya's move.

Danica Patrick's Dad (T. J. Patrick) was a guest of Jack Roush and the Roush racing team at Chicago. Danica's contract with Rahal Letterman expires at the end of this season.

A few other open-wheel drivers preceded her into NASCAR: J. Gordon, R. Gordon, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, and Kasey Kahne.

NASCAR's VP Jim Hunter said "She's certainly had an impact on open-wheel racing. I'm not privy to any conversation she's had with any team, but NASCAR would certainly welcome Danica Patrick."
------
In a related thought, I watched the tape delay of the GAC (NASCAR owned) race at Mid-O (Sunday morning). It seems to me that that series is enjoying a boom of popularity as it relates to cars on the grid. I thought it was one of the better road races that I've watched in many years.

While F-1 struggles to put 20 cars in a race (and IRL had only 19 at Kansas), the GAC race allowed only 75 cars into the race (12 couldn't qualify and went home). The GA group is also enjoying good car counts.

I was fascinated by one drivers account of his racing adventure in GAC:
http://www.grandamadventure.com/GA_Beginning.html
Warning: It will take an hour to read it (although highly entertaining, with pictures).

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
Doc,

I too enjoy watching the GAC races!! There are a LOT more cars running this series over the last couple of years. Competition is getting fierce!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ShelbyGuy said:
how do you feel about fields that large, doc?

I think Andy stated it best:
Competition is getting fierce!
I think it is great entertainment. The racers first must qualify to make the race and then negotiate a crowded track. They're fast (the winner did a 1:34.188 best lap at Mid-O). It's a diverse group of cars, engines, and manufacturers- (a few examples: BMW M3, Pontiac GTO, Mustang GT, Porsche 996, Porsche 997, Chevrolet Cobalt, Acura RSX - S, Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z, Subaru Legacy, Honda Accord, Dodge SRT4, Hyundai Tiburon, and Mini Cooper S). Watch for Bruce in one of those Hyundia's....or a Cobalt. :-D

Production car racing has always been my favorite type of racing. I guess it's because I could even dream of being out there myself (if I had more money...and talent).

Who wouldn't like to drive this?
47gac.jpg

It also assures us a bunch of race parts (used and new).

I think Tom should buy that car when its retired...to match his 95R Zippo car.

Users who are viewing this thread