OT: F250 4X4 OBDII problems - Diag codes explanation?

Andy M

Established Member
Folks,

I am having issues with my F250 right now with the 4X4 engagement. I have an '02 Powerstroke 4X4. The other day while driving to work, the little indicator 4X4 amber light starting flashing even though I was not messing with the electronic dash switch to move from one mode to the other.

Now, when I turn the knob to move it to 4X4 high or if I stop to move it to 4X4 low, nothing happens. Addtionally, I am getting a weird clunking noise when I turn hard to either the left or right. Otherwise, it is not making any other sensations while driving... no rubbing, no strange noise indicating the hubs are scraping or anything like that.

Yesterday morning, I went to Bumberas and they hooked up their OBDII scanner (they have a really expensive one) and we observed several fault codes. I wrote them down and am now trying to find a place online which not only tells me what the definition of the code is, but also will actually go into detail on what the problem being defined by that particular code might be?

Anyone else with an F250 4X4 have this problem? Also, help with finding out what the codes mean (in detail) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Andy M

Established Member
Thanks guys!!! I just registered on dieselstop.com and posted a question concerning this problem.

I will also check this other web site out.

I will keep you posted....

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
diesel stop is a great forum for truck stuff.... :thumbsup:

see what the codes read as....it could be a vacuum issue, loose vacuum line, or bad automatic hub....

I had a problem (apparently a common one) on my '00 F350 4x4....I was told that the hubs are engaged using vacuum....the o-ring went bad on my hub, and wouldnt engage anymore....the stock hubs are POS plastic units....I changed over to manually operated WARN hubs, which I have had good results with over the years....screw the automatic stuff....when I ordered my '06 F350 4x4 I specifically ordered it with the old manual stick on the floor and manual turn-in hubs, something I can count on working when I need it....

Andy M

Established Member
Ken,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I was also told these things are engaged via vacuum. I guess I will just have to tear it apart (correction - I will bring it somewhere to have it taken apart) to see what the problem is.

I agree with you... my next 4X4 will have the old fashioned stick on the floor!! No more wimpy automatic switches for me.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Andy,

You might check Auto Zone. I believe they can give you a breakdown on codes.

And I agree on thedieselstop.com. I have been on there for 5+ years and there is a wealth of knowledge.

Just thinking aloud here, but do you really need 4x4 on your next truck? Mine is 2 wheel drive. No snow here in TX and I don't off-road. That is just more resistance and less mileage for the vehicle.

Tom

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
tomshep said:
Andy,

You might check Auto Zone. I believe they can give you a breakdown on codes.

And I agree on thedieselstop.com. I have been on there for 5+ years and there is a wealth of knowledge.

Just thinking aloud here, but do you really need 4x4 on your next truck? Mine is 2 wheel drive. No snow here in TX and I don't off-road. That is just more resistance and less mileage for the vehicle.

Tom

And always more things to brake(problems). If you don't NEED it(4X4), don't let a saleman talk you into it.

Last edited:

Whitehorse

Gearhead
Established Member
These years were chronic for vaccum leaks from the seals that are pressed onto the axles where they go into the spindle and for the o rings inside the spindles. What you are describing sounds more like an issue with the shift motor. Another common issue with these- The motor or the speeds sensors are the culprit 90% of the time if the 4x4 light is coming on. PM me once you get the codes and I can find out for you.

-Sean

Andy M

Established Member
Whitehorse said:
These years were chronic for vaccum leaks from the seals that are pressed onto the axles where they go into the spindle and for the o rings inside the spindles. What you are describing sounds more like an issue with the shift motor. Another common issue with these- The motor or the speeds sensors are the culprit 90% of the time if the 4x4 light is coming on. PM me once you get the codes and I can find out for you.

-Sean
Sean,

I will PM you with the codes...

How hard is it to fix this problem, if it is the O rings?? are we talking a major job here???

Terry Moenich

Established Member
SVT KY posted a great sight, I have the Auto Tap program, it's really slick! If you already have a laptop, even an out-of-date one you can have your own scanner cheap. naturally they work on the 00 R's too. You can also record a drive cycle, so you could record a lap or two on the track or street and go back and see what your sensors are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread