Original Oil & Air Filter

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Googled our auction name and found this discussion in a forum from 2005 discussing nos air filter auction we had.
86b2264ea534583e0baac74bdba5812d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It is amazing how discreet the owners are. We had well over 200 boss9 customers through ebay. It was before paypal and many would just send cash through the mail instead of money orders. We sold to people in the Netherlands that had some boss9's that were great people. They sent Christmas gifts and magazine articles that featured an auction we had. We sourced a lot of parts for them. We met people that had multiple bosses.
The car is expensive to own. Correct filters and all service parts cost a lot. Air filters $125 easy. Plug wires alone with out insulators or boots $350 then for repo. Original nos plug wires $3500 if you could find them. Gaskets for the heads were over a grand then. It had many unique parts.

Years ago, actually late 1999 I was involved with Mustang Monthly and a magazine feature called "Big-Block Blowout". It put 4 or 5 totally stock, some restored, some original big block Mustangs on a chassis dyno to see what real world numbers were really happening at the rear wheels.......There were 2 428 Shelby's (1-CJ and 1-PI), 1 390 GTA, a 70 BOSS 429 and my 1971 429 SCJ. In the end I pulled the best rwhp while black smoking (rich) from 3K on through 5K. The other Mustangs ran very clean through the chassis pulls, but I managed to beat all of them with cast iron manifolds, oem solid cam and dual point, and factory D1Z Holley 780cfm and functioning smog pump. It was a fun time but it also pissed off some of the Shelby owners and the 70 BOSS9 guy was also pissed! Jeff Ford titled me the "Big Kahuna" in the magazine.

I ended up coming back in 2001 for a "test and tune" on a chassis dyno in a Mustang Monthly feature called "Dyno Tuning for Power"......My rich/black smoke problem in the original "Big Block Blowout" feature was the oem Ford Shop Manual size 83 jets in the rear, when the vac. secondaries would open, 83's were wayyyy to large, the 71's up front were fine. I ended up downsizing the secondary jets through a couple of pulls and got an additional 50 rwhp out of that old/original unrestored low original mile 1971 429 drag pack Mach 1, the magazne feature for that dyno tune is linked below.....

Dyno-Tuning For Power

I love the old performance cars, they look cool and I have owned many of them from multiple brands, but in reality, how primitive they are......

R

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I remember that! It doesn't seem that long ago.

My first test drive with my pop was in a 71 429scj. The kid lost his license and the judge told him to sell the car. After the kid took us for a ride (pop in the back seat) my dad got out of the car a said "no way in hell are you buying this car" it was a real head jerker and would pull like an ape. Great car!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I remember that! It doesn't seem that long ago.

My first test drive with my pop was in a 71 429scj. The kid lost his license and the judge told him to sell the car. After the kid took us for a ride (pop in the back seat) my dad got out of the car a said "no way in hell are you buying this car" it was a real head jerker and would pull like an ape. Great car!

Yes they are cool "one year only" Mustangs. I had 3, 2-SCJ's and a CJ. The car used in the magazine was my Bright Red 4spd. 4.11 DL, my other SCJ was a Grabber Lime C6 3.91 Trac-Loc and the CJ was Grabber Yellow C6 3.25 Trac-Loc. The CJ was fully optioned for a 1971 Mustang and was $6500 on the Eminger invoice, that was the cost of a Corvette back then..............and considering my 2-SCJ's were in the $4000-$4300 price range on their Eminger invoices. All three cars were matching number drive train's and even original glass.

The BOSS 351 is always credited as the fastest consistent 1/4 mile Mustang from the 1960's/early 70's era at 13.8, but there were a few of drag magazines from that era where a bone stock 429SCJ Mach 1 C6 3.91 ran 13.4's multiple times, but it is not a BOSS car, so it does not count..... ; )

R

Rareone

Established Member
FWIW - Over the past 5 years I have sold 3 "correct" battery cores for the 1993 and 1995 Cobra R's, same as the production Cobra's of their specific years. The price for each battery core was $150 plus shipping and I sold all three to three different owners. Guys who own those cars now and show in MCA judged events are always looking for "correct assy. line parts" for judging purposes. That is why I kept the cores out of my 93R, 95R and 95 2-Top from 15 years ago to sell to guys who are looking for them now, years after the original were turned in as cores by previous owners.........That being said, the correct caps have to be in place and the decals/stickers need to be nice.

Years ago when the batteries were replaced, I emptied out each core, and twice refilled with water and emptied to flush out the electrolyte. After the battery fully drained I put the original caps back in place and placed the battery cores in a plastic trash bags and stored the batteries in the bottom of a cabinet and forgot about them until the time was right. Since the batteries were completely flushed years before, and now dry inside, they were ready for shipping to their new owners........

R
Do you have original battery’s and oil filter?
If so and you will sell
Let me know
865-661-8191

01yellercobra

Established Member
Years ago, actually late 1999 I was involved with Mustang Monthly and a magazine feature called "Big-Block Blowout". It put 4 or 5 totally stock, some restored, some original big block Mustangs on a chassis dyno to see what real world numbers were really happening at the rear wheels.......There were 2 428 Shelby's (1-CJ and 1-PI), 1 390 GTA, a 70 BOSS 429 and my 1971 429 SCJ. In the end I pulled the best rwhp while black smoking (rich) from 3K on through 5K. The other Mustangs ran very clean through the chassis pulls, but I managed to beat all of them with cast iron manifolds, oem solid cam and dual point, and factory D1Z Holley 780cfm and functioning smog pump. It was a fun time but it also pissed off some of the Shelby owners and the 70 BOSS9 guy was also pissed! Jeff Ford titled me the "Big Kahuna" in the magazine.

I ended up coming back in 2001 for a "test and tune" on a chassis dyno in a Mustang Monthly feature called "Dyno Tuning for Power"......My rich/black smoke problem in the original "Big Block Blowout" feature was the oem Ford Shop Manual size 83 jets in the rear, when the vac. secondaries would open, 83's were wayyyy to large, the 71's up front were fine. I ended up downsizing the secondary jets through a couple of pulls and got an additional 50 rwhp out of that old/original unrestored low original mile 1971 429 drag pack Mach 1, the magazne feature for that dyno tune is linked below.....

Dyno-Tuning For Power

I love the old performance cars, they look cool and I have owned many of them from multiple brands, but in reality, how primitive they are......

R
I actually remember that article. My grandparents subscribed to the magazine and would give them to me when they were done. I had a 70 fastback at the time. Nothing fancy though.

Users who are viewing this thread