Ordering a 2011 5.0

Blue03

Established Member
Just traded in my 2008 GT and am going to order a new 5.0 tomorrow. I have not been as impressed with a new Mustang since I bought my '03 Cobra. Wondering if any of you have driven one of those cars. I just can't believe the power difference between my '08 and this new car. I already see these cars in the 11's with NO power adders. After driving one I can believe it. I might be going automatic this time around. The new 6spd auto is a really nice package. The gear spacing has the engine in it's powerband very well and it's definitely easier to launch. Before we send the order off tomorrow I am going to drive a manual trans just to make sure I won't regret the decision. Just curious if anyone test drove one of these cars. George, who has the Challenger at the firehouse? SRT-8 or R/T?

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
i've driven a 05 and while i liked it, nothing about it made me want to get one...
but for some reason, these ones really impressed me... you won't regret it..

just about everything about them is better... I'm still not 100% sold on the exterior. From some angles I really like it but from others, not so much so. They cruise and ride great. Much much better brakes and steering. Tons of room inside up front. The GT500 doesn't have that frontend heavy feel that our Cobras do.

The V6 has some really big balls. Felt as fast as a PI 2v.

The 5.0 has great top end. The bottom end, while stronger than previous 4vs, still feels a bit weak to me. We're used to our Eatons and twin screws so that isn't surprising. Some 4.56s, exhaust if you want, and a tune and you're all set (maybe some suspension work).

I'm torn between the new and the old. The new are so much better but the old fits like a glove and I like the roughness and unrefinedness of my 96 shitbox.

Blue03

Established Member
I liked my '08 but it just didn't overwhelm me with the performance. I ended up running a 13.49@104 with a tune, CAI and exhaust and it was OK but after driving that new 5.0 it wasn't even in the same galaxy performancewise. I still love my Cobra and going to hang onto it for the foreseeable future but I really like the retro style of the Mustangs since 2005 and now finally performance to match without a charger or turbo. I ordered it today, should be here in about 4 or 5 weeks. We bought the wife a 2010 Challenger R/T in Plum Crazy a little while back and she loves that car. We lookde at the Mustang but she wanted the bigger trunk and interior space plus.....had to have Purple. It's got the 5.7 Hemi in it and it moves out pretty good; probably as fast as my '08 was. It did get 25mpg on the e-way when we drove it home from Kalamazoo. I have to say I really like the Challenger even though it's not as fast as the Mustang it does have it's own personality.

quad

Established Member
The power jump with the 2011 over 2010 is amazing. Ford went all out with the 5.0. It also looks fantastic. If I was ever in the market for a new car in that price range I would get a 5.0 2011.

In general it seems to me with all the auto manufacturers that cars in general over the past 3 years have improved significantly design wise. I don't think (and hope) we will see another Aztek soon.

Blue03

Established Member
The power jump with the 2011 over 2010 is amazing. Ford went all out with the 5.0. It also looks fantastic. If I was ever in the market for a new car in that price range I would get a 5.0 2011.

In general it seems to me with all the auto manufacturers that cars in general over the past 3 years have improved significantly design wise. I don't think (and hope) we will see another Aztek soon.

I agree with you completely. As far as the Mustang goes 2010 to 2011 is just a quantum leap in performance. For the first time I was more impressed with the automatic than the manual trans too. I don't know how much longer this HP war will go on. I think we are reaching the pinnacle. I don't see an 800hp GT or 1000hp Shelby in a few years. The EPA is going to crack down on all this starting in 2016 with the new MPG rules. I say get 'em and hold onto 'em while you can. Actually we HAVE seen another Aztec; only worse. Have you caught a look at the Nissan Juke? What an abomination that is. I would take an Aztec anyday over that. Unfortunately Fugly still exists, although mostly in the import realm.......

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I drove one last week, 6 speed coupe. It was alright but comparing it to my Cobra it was slow, suspension too soft, exhaust too quiet. I tried not to compare it that way because the 2 cars are completely different but I can't help it. It is pretty quick right out the gate without a power adder. The same car I drove just went 12.82 @ 107mph at milan wed. evening. Having said that if money was no object I would buy one then immediately change the suspension, shifter handle, and add 200 or more horsepower to it.

bulldogg

11 5.0
Established Member
Congrats thats awesome the new 5.0 is a bad ride for sure. I had a ride in one on the dearbown track and it was impressive (stock). whipple has kits out for 500-625HP i think.

Blue03

Established Member
Congrats thats awesome the new 5.0 is a bad ride for sure. I had a ride in one on the dearbown track and it was impressive (stock). whipple has kits out for 500-625HP i think.

Thanks. For a stock GT Mustang it is impressive. Compared to any of our '03 Cobras with mods, yeah it's going to be slow(relatively speaking). I already have a mod list and will start buying parts before the car gets to the dealer. Compared to the '08 I had it's a rocket, lol. My goal is to run low 12's or high 11's naturally aspirated. I am seeing a lot of people getting there with just bolt on mods. I'm going to try and find out first hand :) ................still keeping my '03 though. I thought about parting with it a few times but glad I didn't. The '03's have made their mark and I think they will maintain their value through the years. Had a lot of fun with that car too.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
I'm still not 100% sold on the exterior. From some angles I really like it but from others, not so much so. .

Totally agree Tony!! There is one reason I don't have that car in my garage and that is because I truly believe the design team went on a bender before they sculpted the ass of this car!!:nonono: Every other side of the new Stang...IMO...is spot on!! Why do we always have to use the old adage..."It will grow on you" when we look at some of these designs? I'm trying...but it's just not happening from the rear:bored:

Blue03

Established Member
Hey Rich...that would be one of our newbies! Sharp car...I like it. Congrats on the 11!!:beer:

I thought maybe you bought it George, lol. We picked up a '10 Plum Crazy R/T Challenger for the wife last month. I do love that car, it's definitely cool. When we were looking for a replacement for her we drove the Mustang and that blew me away. I took my '08 in and they actually gave me a damn good price to trade it in so I did. On the rear of the '11; I thought my '08 looked a little better but I don't dislike the '11 either. My fix is going to be to add that blackout panel between the rear lights. I've looked at a few with that and I think it gives it a lot tougher look. My salesman called the other day and my car now has a VIN. Hoping 3 -4 weeks from now I'll be driving it. I am going to take a few shots of it with our Challenger. I'll see if I can post them up when that happens. I want to see your bar/restaurant. If a Fall cruise is in the cards maybe we can stop in at the end. Of course if you join us it would be a no brainer, lol.

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
i'd like to do a fall cruise.. we should talk about it soon if it's going to happen

Blue03

Established Member
i'd like to do a fall cruise.. we should talk about it soon if it's going to happen

I'm up for it; middle to late Oct would be nice, should have good color and decent temps. I've been out of action for awhile, I always loved this event.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Too bad there will only be maybe 5 cars. I am taking the insurance off my car after this weekend. Put 300 miles on it this year. I believe I put more mile on my dirt bike this year.....no poop.

TRMNTR

Established Member
Too bad there will only be maybe 5 cars. I am taking the insurance off my car after this weekend. Put 300 miles on it this year. I believe I put more mile on my dirt bike this year.....no poop.

Get collectors insurance from Grundy's. It's cheaper and it is for a full year, so you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

I'd be interested in a fall cruise. A Sunday would probably be best for me.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Get collectors insurance from Grundy's. It's cheaper and it is for a full year, so you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

I'd be interested in a fall cruise. A Sunday would probably be best for me.

Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread