ordered parts wanted input

blksnakebite97

Established Member
I just ordered a MGW short throw shifter with inner dust boot, and 4.10 gears with small install kit, including gaskets, and a few bolts i think. but what else do i need for the install I am planning on doing them my self. gear oil, and new diff cover, what is this lube for the posi I hear about. also what tuner should I get. how much of a difference will all 3 of these things make separately and together. thanks for the help im new.

blksnakebite97

Established Member
replace the clutches in the rear why you are there, thats one thing

I that does not come with my kit which i think it doesn't then where would i find them and how much would they be, thanks for the help. any other input on performance gains i can expect. Or how about any other simple modifications i could do. I plan on buying O/R x pipe or H pipe where should i get that thanks.

Toasty

Established Member
Magnetic base stand plus a dial indicator for measuring backlash.
Gear marking paste.
Correct loctite for the ring gear bolts.
I'd suggest ring gear bolts from ARP.

blksnakebite97

Established Member
Magnetic base stand plus a dial indicator for measuring backlash.
Gear marking paste.
Correct loctite for the ring gear bolts.
I'd suggest ring gear bolts from ARP.

thanks I know my dad has the dial indicator, ill have to check on the magnetic base stand, and can i pick up the cear marking paste at autozone, and I think the last 2 things come with the kit if im not mistaken. thanks again

blksnakebite97

Established Member
Any one with 4.10's and tune wanna tell me how much faster it will feel, also will the short throw shifter be nicer for just everyday driving, how much shorter is the handle with it?

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Any one with 4.10's and tune wanna tell me how much faster it will feel, also will the short throw shifter be nicer for just everyday driving, how much shorter is the handle with it?

I have 4.10's and an MGW. The car will really wake up from a stop with the gears. It will pull much harder. The top end will feel pretty much the same though.

The MGW feels MUCH nicer than the stock shifter. I DD my car maybe 60-75 miles a day and i hated how sloppy the stock shifter felt. The handle isn't too much shorter. I actually expected it to be a little shorter. It feels really good though. It's one of my favorite mods.

Oh and BTW I honestly wouldn't really recommend spending money on a tune until you get soem longtubes or a short runner and IMRC deletes or something bigger like that. I gained 1 hp from my tune. Granted I may have a compression leak or something, but it's pretty expensive to get a chip or tuner and pay for the tune for so little hp. JMO

Last edited:

blksnakebite97

Established Member
thanks thats what I really wanted to know, because i was nervous about being at 3k on the highway at 65, but as long as i can stay around 2600 I will be satisfied, also that good to know about the shifter I haven't really missed a gear in this car yet, but the stock shifter is kinda choppy.

albino96

Established Member
thanks thats what I really wanted to know, because i was nervous about being at 3k on the highway at 65, but as long as i can stay around 2600 I will be satisfied, also that good to know about the shifter I haven't really missed a gear in this car yet, but the stock shifter is kinda choppy.

I'm usually at 3k on the highway, but I'm going closer to 75 or so most of the time. Sometimes I keep it down, but out here I'll have people honking at me going 65. I have had the gears for the last 40k or so and the car still runs like when I bought it.

Oh, and be sure to get a speedcal. I don't have one and I regret it because my cobra has gotten at least 5k fictitious miles.

blksnakebite97

Established Member
I'm usually at 3k on the highway, but I'm going closer to 75 or so most of the time. Sometimes I keep it down, but out here I'll have people honking at me going 65. I have had the gears for the last 40k or so and the car still runs like when I bought it.

Oh, and be sure to get a speedcal. I don't have one and I regret it because my cobra has gotten at least 5k fictitious miles.

3k at 75 isnt bad, but cant i get a tune to fix the speedo instead of a speedcal:shrug:

albino96

Established Member
3k at 75 isnt bad, but cant i get a tune to fix the speedo instead of a speedcal:shrug:

Nope. Our cars have a mechanical speedo. You can get a new speedo gear (the cheap route) but it won't be exact and people have had the gear get chewed up because it doesn't really fit right.

The newer cobras (99+ I think) have electronic speedos which can be adjusted int he tune.

Users who are viewing this thread