Optimal Oil Pressure

KzooMuscle

Established Member
I was cruising the other night and happen to notice my oil pressure was hitting 17-18 at idle and was between 35-45 at wot...I know the general rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1000rpms, but this is the first time noticing the low drop at idle. Should I be concerned because it's new? What could cause a drop, if I was in the mid 20s prior?

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
That does sound low for a modular engine. How new is it?

Also, you might want to try the new edge forum.

KzooMuscle

Established Member
The motor has approximately 1500-1700 miles, but by "new" I mean, the low PSI is new. I did do some racing on Friday...I wonder if that had any effects on it. Car seems to run fine...and maybe it's hit 17-18 before and I just never noticed it until now?? I'll drive it a bit more when the weather clears up but I'm just concerned. I swear I never noticed it this low the past couple weeks but I could have just missed it. I just want to know if I should be concerned or not.

Last edited:

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
engine wear can cause a lower pressure because as you wear the bearings down the clearance increases, which then decreases oil pressure. I wouldn't be concerned at the idle psi but you should be seeing more at WOT. What weight oil are you running? If I were you, I would do an oil change and while draining it let some drain into a cup so you can examine it.

oldmodman

Established Member
Can you put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine?
Quite a few people have had faulty senders on their electric gauges.

Then if you get that low a reading that suddenly became low it's time to look for a new mechanical fault. Could be something as simple as a stuck pressure relief valve in your oil pump.

Or as serious as a internal pump failure, or a bearing going bad.

How rapidly did the problem show up? Good one minute and low the next? Can you talk to your engine builder?

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Your idle pressure is fine. What you did not say is what we're your rpm`s at when you were at wot.

I have a 347 , 68 flat tappet engine that I built 14 years ago, that at an idle hot , as in coolant temperature has 190 to 200 , isles at 950 rpm and oil pressure is around 15-20, and at 6500-7000 rpm is at 65 pounds.

It had been this way for the last 4-5 years , and has had MANY bottles of n2o through it , and many miles on it .

Point is to monitor your higher rpm pressure .

Users who are viewing this thread