OPTIMA Battery

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
Does anyone have OPTIMA battery installed? I am curious if it is a straight swap with the OEM battery or if any modifications are needed. Is there a difference between the yeloow and red Optima's?
:shrug:

Juruense

Banned
Yes I have one.

The smaller Optima easily fits with the adapter kit that should come with the battery.

The larger Optima will fit if you cut the tray. A new tray is only $14 at the parts counter if you **** it up or the bolt is corroded like it usually is.

The yellow is deep cycle for trolling motors or massive stereo systems. Just go with the red it will match your car better.

NEVER let an Optima fully discharge. Spiral cell batteries ARE DESTROYED by full discharge they are not like lead acid where you can run them completely dead.

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
funny. the optima in my cobra was made in 05 and has been in two other vehicles before i put it in my cobra 2.5 years ago. and the yellow top in my mazda 6 has been in it for over three years. guess they must be big piles of crap. ;) i have the larger optima red top in my cobra. it just bulged out the sides of the tray a little bit, but it fits just fine. i used the stock hold down and its not going anywhere.

3025693815_3ccb8d01eb.jpg

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Red top Duralast for me. They are the same as oem. Same manyfacturer, but with a red top instead of black.

1bad03snake

powered by cold beer
Established Member
my original battery just died on monday. i replaced it with another motorcraft . maybe ill get 5 yeasrs out of this one

Juruense

Banned
The people that say Optima sucks probably let the battery fully discharge and then were surprised when it did not take a charge ever again.

1) read the manual
2) use the product as designed and intended
3) optimas are fine I have owned many with ZERO issues

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
the people that say optima sucks probably let the battery fully discharge and then were surprised when it did not take a charge ever again.

1) read the manual
2) use the product as designed and intended
3) optimas are fine i have owned many with zero issues

+1

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
thanks guys for your comments especially "Juruense". I agree that people probably did not maintain battery properly therefore it did not last. I too did not have an issue with my OEM batt but I want the red top to go with my car. Thanx again for your replies.:rockon:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I just bought a Red Top from Advanced and it has a standard bottom which fit just fine in my tray and is held in place with the stock hold down bracket.

Mine also has side terminals in addition to the top posts, so I bought a trickle charger and use a trailer disconnect hooked to the side terminals to plug mine in when it isn't being driven (it's a garage queen).

I'd also like to point out that my stock battery was 6 years old when I replaced it!

cltgt

Life is a drag race
Established Member
I had a red top Optima in my last Mustang for 4 years in the Florida heat and never had a problem. i"m about to run to Costco tomorrow to buy one for the Termi.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
i have blue top for street use, got it sooo cheap from a distributor i couldn't pass it up, its got extra posts with butterfly nuts, i've got alot of crap hooked up to those extra posts, so came in handy, verrrrrryyy heavy battery. i put it on maintenance charge for a couple days each month when its sitting for months at a time. batteries drain over time when not in use, especially as they age

Digital

Established Member
I've ran the duralast gold. Good warranty, almost everywhere carrys them, and they are decent weight and size. Also they last a good while. Can't beat free replacements, if you're coming up on your cut off just leave the stereo and lights on all night before you replace it.

trmin8ter03

Established Member
I had a red top on my 95 lt1 since 04. I just got rid of the car a couple of weeks ago. I let the car sit for about two weeks and had to jump it, other than that never gave me any problems. Put about 60K miles on the battery over the five years. When my oem takes a crap im going with the optima.

Users who are viewing this thread