Optima battery question.

Cammin4V

Established Member
Does it require any new strap downs or covers? Does it require any new hardware? If i remember it looked significantly smaller than other batteries.

Is it that much better than a stock Ford battery? Is it worth the extra cash to get it?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Some will argue with me, but Optima batteries don't impress me.

Why?

Stock F150 batteries are a group size 65. The optima's that most shops carry are group size 34. There is a size difference.

They are shorter than the stock battery. They should come with height adapters if the store carries them. They come free with the battery so if they try and charge you tell them to phuck off.

http://192.132.24.107/UsingOptima/height_WCM.asp

I know I've put optima's in F150's all day and we stock the adapter.

I've got optima's that come back that are 8 years old that just need a good recharging.

IMO they are worth the extra money. 3 year free replacement and 72 months prorated. They have one of the lowest failure rates of all the brands.

There is no storebrand, no lower quality batteries. One battery for everbody.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Oh one thing. IF you do manage to run them down to say 7 volts or less they take an act of god to bring back up.

I know of one charger that can bring them back up from that. We use them 7 days a week to recover them.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Optimas Suck IMO. Now if they were lighter than a normal battery that would be one thing. Unless you are running some serious pull, amps, etc, they are not worth the money.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
There are better batteries out there. I have 15 batteries right now in my core pile, 2 are optimas. Maybe they are great in nice weather climates, but I don't think they take extremes well. Here in New England we see below zero winters and 100+ summers. I think it takes a toll on them. I'm not saying they suck by any means. I just am 'unimpressed'.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
There are better batteries out there. I have 15 batteries right now in my core pile, 2 are optimas. Maybe they are great in nice weather climates, but I don't think they take extremes well. Here in New England we see below zero winters and 100+ summers. I think it takes a toll on them. I'm not saying they suck by any means. I just am 'unimpressed'.

can youe tester test the gel batterys? i know the one at pepgirls can not....

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:

Ok. How old are the batteries? They work fine down here in FL.

I agree they aren't for every car but they serve their purpose.

If you have a big stereo you want the yellow not the red.

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
I've got a red top right now that after five years and 3 vehicles holds a charge perfectly - unfortunately its a 10V charge. Anybody need a 5-pack?

Herb

miamijdm

Crazy SVT Racer
Established Member
i have a red top in my truck. I took out the factory battery tray and bolted the battery to the tray and then put it back in the truck. its really secure.. if you guys want, let me know and i'll post up some pics..

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
I've been running an Optima yellow top in the L for about 2 yrs now. No problems at all. Doesn't drain down from the electric fans or the stereo.
Turns the engine over really hard regardless of how cold or hot it is down here in SW GA.

Mine is mounted inside the billet Optima battery "box" that California Car Cover Co. carries. Sorry, no pics.

I'm keeping the Optima.

Last edited:

REDSVT150

Established Member
I put a red top in because I needed the space.
28943-333-22328.jpg

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:

I agree, I had one in my boat, took it out for the winter after only having it for 3 months and the thing didn't hold enough charge through the winter to start the boat in the spring. Once I recharged it it worked great all summer but I wasn't impressed that a brand new battery couldn't make it through one winter without a recharge :dw: I am also unimpressed and won't waste my money again.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
I agree, I had one in my boat, took it out for the winter after only having it for 3 months and the thing didn't hold enough charge through the winter to start the boat in the spring. Once I recharged it it worked great all summer but I wasn't impressed that a brand new battery couldn't make it through one winter without a recharge :dw: I am also unimpressed and won't waste my money again.

3 months can be a long time for a battery off of a trickle charger. Any type of battery. Wet batteries are more suseptible to damage from nonuse. AGM's aren't.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I love my Yellow Top, i park my Lightning from Nov-1st to around the 1st of May every year. I usually try to start my Lightning once every week or so,but sometimes it can be a little longer. :) But it doesn't matter how long i wait in between start ups, it alway's cranks her right up every time. My stock battery couldn't handle sitting over the Winter, it crapped out the 2nd Winter i had it.

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
3 months can be a long time for a battery off of a trickle charger. Any type of battery. Wet batteries are more suseptible to damage from nonuse. AGM's aren't.

The factory battery that was in my truck since I bought it did just fine sitting outside under a car cover all winter and started right up in the spring :shrug:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
The factory battery that was in my truck since I bought it did just fine sitting outside under a car cover all winter and started right up in the spring :shrug:

Ok. Cold finds the weakspots in the batteries. You'res is fine. But how many times have you killed your completely? That will tell how long it will last.

Users who are viewing this thread