Optima Battery advice

KotnmthKng

Established Member
Hey guys, haven't been on the forums in awhile, I just got back from a 7 month deployment. Anyways, I need a new battery for the Cobra and I'm looking to get an Optima. I'm not sure how many CCA's I need and I also am not sure if I should go red or yellow top. I don't have any high-end stereo stuff in there right now, but I do plan to add 1 12" sub with a 500 watt amp, and possibly another 100 watt amp for the interior speakers. Would it be worth it to go yellow, or stick with red?

Thanks for any help, its great to be back on the best forum for Mustangs! :beer:

jumperjack

Established Member
I don't have any aftermarket stereo stuff but do have twin 255 pumps,4 aftermarket gauges, KB boostaspark, an Anderson PMS and intercooler pump and I went with the red top no problems here. Only wish the top was blue to match the valve covers.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
FYI the plastic on the Optima's are designed to take a coat of paint.

with just 500 watts I'd go redtop.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
You should be fine wiht the red top Optima, and if you can paint it hit it with a coat of blue or two, I would ask Otima about doing that first so you don't mess anything up, just in case

AKPony

Established Member
Ive always had good luck with the red tops. Ive heard of people having issues with the yellow tops.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
i have had no issues with my red top, i can let it go a few months sitting in the car and it will start right back up with no problem at all.

98slowbra

Established Member
a long time ago I wanted to go with a battery like these but the terminals would stick up to high and the hood would hit them, I think this was like 4 years ago. Do they make a new on that will fit right in the factory tray? or do you have to make mods to make this red top fit? I would like one because I am running 2 amps, 5 farud cap, 2 after market gauges, digital sound processer, CD player, 4 6" speakers, 4 Tweeters, and 2 12" subs. I would like to get a better battery then the interstate one that is in there, could you give me a product number what would fit in a 1998 chrome yellow cobra?

98slowbra

Established Member
never mind, went to there web site and they do not make a battery for 1998 mustang cobra, mustang is not even listed.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
ive had nothing but problems w/ my red top. I am on #3 and only had the cobra a little over a year. I also have a new alt. No shorts either.

Users who are viewing this thread