optima batteries

GREY95GTS

Father & aon project
Established Member
my son gave me his like new optima battery . he had it in his 2002 gt. I have a highly modified 95 mustang gts. I ran so much better that I couldn't believe it. I told him that. He now has a cts-v. this last week the battery died on so he went to buy another one. well he got another optima. The he called me to say that all he did was replace the battery the car runs better that it ever did with the conventional one in it. all i said was I told you so... Has anyone else noticed this? besides us? I'm just curios.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i did with my dakota i had. It ran much smoother and much easier to crank IMO. Im wanting to get one for my mustang

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
i had an optima red top and liked it but it died on me. So I went and got a deep cycle yellow top. Ive had it for a good 2 years now running strong. I need it because my boost a pump runs full time and stays on all the time. Cranks like factory every morning. I left the car sitting for a week and it still started up

eddyroxx

Established Member
my truck needs a new battery i guess im gonna get an optima
which color top do you guys recommend? whats the diffrence?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
what LS1killer said, the deep cycle yellow top is the better out the two but the red top should do fine in your truck. It cranked my little dakota with no problem. Im gonna get a red top for my mustang here shortly

GREY95GTS

Father & aon project
Established Member
I think that there is more to these batteries than we know of. Both of our cars ran better. We can't figure it out. My son thinks that the alternator or what ever doesn't have to work so hard therefore more power to run the car. whatever it is it sure works great. they run smoother and stronger.By the way we both run red tops.

spike_africa

Established Member
Its in your head a battery isn't going to make the car run better. Once the motor is running the alt is powering the whole car anyhow, not the battery.

I have a yellow top in my car that is 11years old. It was in my 99 f150 and I transferred it into my mustang when I got it back in 2005. Its only just started to have a hard time starting the car. I will get another one.

Last edited:

silver02stang

Just a GT
Established Member
i did with my dakota i had. It ran much smoother and much easier to crank IMO. Im wanting to get one for my mustang

Thank you! I've been telling myself I was crazy but the car just seemed to run much smoother, like I had replaced overdue spark plugs and coil packs. Call me crazy, but after noticing the same thing with my V, I won't buy anything else.

silver02stang

Just a GT
Established Member
Its in your head a battery isn't going to make the car run better. Once the motor is running the alt is powering the how car anyhow not the battery....

Could it be possible that it's allowing other parts of the electrical system work more efficiently? That's the sense I'm getting... and the only one that even "kinda" seems like it could be possible.

spike_africa

Established Member
Unless your battery terminals were very bad and causing a bad ground, then I could see possible a slight better sense the electrical system was working better. Over all though its just in your head. It is however a fantastic battery. I am going to try their smaller D51 to save about 23lbs over the big monster yellow top that I have now.

Last edited:

GREY95GTS

Father & aon project
Established Member
hem let me see ,the battery that was replaced by the optima was a new napa gold . so explain that one to me. there was no other change to the system. Just a simple swap. all I know is that my car runs really good with the optima in it. it no longer runs bad. it runs perfect. I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience as we have had.

Users who are viewing this thread