OptiCoat 3 year update

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Nothing too exciting to see here, but several people were curious to know how the product was going to hold up over time so I thought I'd post an update now that I'm at the 3 year mark of having it on the car. I had Opticoat applied to the GT500 at the 1000 mile mark and I have not waxed or done anything to the vehicle other than wash it with soap and water during the past 3 years.

Although I've tried to avoid driving it in the rain whenever possible, I got caught in a storm on my way to race earlier this year and was pleased how the product has continued to do a good job over time. The rain rolls right off and if the car is clean it will even drip dry the next day without leaving much evidence. I've been really pleased wth this product and just thought I'd show an update for anyone who was curious.

th_IMG_2137_zpsju5popdd.jpg
"]
th_IMG_2137_zpsju5popdd.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
That's holding up nicely IMHO. I noticed the water beading up on the matte black stripes as well. Do they typically put that type of coating on those as well?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
hmmm...never heard of it but looks good, does your car spend most of the time in the garage? thinking this might be something to look at for my DD

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
That's holding up nicely IMHO. I noticed the water beading up on the matte black stripes as well. Do they typically put that type of coating on those as well?

The shop told me you couldn't put the treatment on the stripes so they had to detail them "the normal way", whatever that was. If you look closely you'll see the water behaves differently on the stripes than on the paint. The beads seem to "stick" to the stripes more. If the car had been in motion the water on the paint would almost blow away by itself (which is actually how I dry the car using a leaf blower instead of towels), and there is almost no accumulation on the sides of the car. Obviously there is still some, but I feel like it's a nice improvement over waxing/buffing on a regular basis. It seems to make it easier to get bugs off as well. If I don't think the car needs a complete wash, I'll just spray some quick detailers spray on any bug splats, gently massage out, then hose off. Has worked really well for the last 3 years.

hmmm...never heard of it but looks good, does your car spend most of the time in the garage? thinking this might be something to look at for my DD

Yes, the majority of time the car sits in the garage, and I winterize it and put it away during the coldest months. In fact I just put it on the battery tender and put the cover on yesterday after the wash seen in the video. I don't know what the difference in product longevity would be if the car was outside in the sun/weather all day like a DD might be, but I feel like I still have plenty of life in my current application. So if a DD only got 2.5-3 years out of a coating before it needed a re-application I would still call it worthwhile. Hell, I'd do it every 2 years if it needed it. The shop told me to re-apply they have to strip the old coating off and then add a new fresh coat. It's supposed to be similar to the idea of adding a second clear coat to the original paint protection.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Jason,

I just found this on a quick Google search. Assuming it's the same product, will one tube do a car one time? Or what?

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

That looks like that might be by the same company, but I'm not so sure it's the same product. Optic-Coat Pro and Opti-coat Pro Plus are the actual names so "Optimum Gloss Coat" sounds like a different product. Regardless, I would NOT suggest applying it yourself. I hear it can be kind of tricky to get the coat even and it is suggested it be installed by an authorized detailer. Here's the website I used to find a shop near me, then i just called them and asked questions. I don't know where in MO you are but this is what they show for your location. I had to go to Memphis for mine, but the shop was outstanding.

http://opti-coat.net/approved-dealers.php?state=MO

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That looks like that might be by the same company, but I'm not so sure it's the same product. Optic-Coat Pro and Opti-coat Pro Plus are the actual names so "Optimum Gloss Coat" sounds like a different product. Regardless, I would NOT suggest applying it yourself. I hear it can be kind of tricky to get the coat even and it is suggested it be installed by an authorized detailer. Here's the website I used to find a shop near me, then i just called them and asked questions. I don't know where in MO you are but this is what they show for your location. I had to go to Memphis for mine, but the shop was outstanding.

http://opti-coat.net/approved-dealers.php?state=MO

Noted, thank you.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
A good friend of mine had that applied to his 85 fox body and his paint looks better than mine. I really need to spend the money and take my Shelby to a professional detail shop

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A good friend of mine had that applied to his 85 fox body and his paint looks better than mine. I really need to spend the money and take my Shelby to a professional detail shop

Or sell it...

:poke:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member

LOL. I think the video of the water running off and leaving the paint dry got you thinking huh? Thanks for the compliment!

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
How much did it run, if you don't mind me asking?

A local detailer was talking about this nanotech technology that more or less does the same thing... 7 years of no-waxing the company claims.. but it's a cool grand for him to do it...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
How much did it run, if you don't mind me asking?

A local detailer was talking about this nanotech technology that more or less does the same thing... 7 years of no-waxing the company claims.. but it's a cool grand for him to do it...

I can't recall the exact cost, but for them to wash/detail inside and outside and apply the Opticoat it was somewhere around $400 I think, maybe even less. All I remember is that I felt surprised and happy at the price. It was nowhere near $1k.

Vegasgold

Established Member
That looks really good. I found one dealer here in Edmonton and only one person is authorized to apply it. So one person in all of Edmonton. Must be some special way to apply it. The cost with prep was $1150 plus tax for the opticoat pro plus with a 5 year warranty. I looked at a few other detailers in Canada and they start at $800 to $1200 with or with out prep. Most likely $1200 give or take to get this here in Canada. I will get it, looks very impressive.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ill have to look into this more, quick google search I found places around here that say they will wash, clay, 1 stage polish and opti a large truck/suv for $500

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
That looks really good. I found one dealer here in Edmonton and only one person is authorized to apply it. So one person in all of Edmonton. Must be some special way to apply it. The cost with prep was $1150 plus tax for the opticoat pro plus with a 5 year warranty. I looked at a few other detailers in Canada and they start at $800 to $1200 with or with out prep. Most likely $1200 give or take to get this here in Canada. I will get it, looks very impressive.

Yeah, nobody in my entire state was an authorized detailer for the product either. I think the reason for specialized dealers is because it's important to get an even thickness across the paint, and it can sometimes be tricky. Drove 2hrs out of state to Memphis to get it done, and glad I did. Since it's basically a permanent layer that would have to be stripped off if done incorrectly, I wanted it done properly the first time. Sorry it's so costly to do in your area. I don't believe the product itself is really all that expensive, I think it's more about the labor cost for prep and application time. Either way, I think you'll love it. Post up your thoughts in this thread whenever you have it done. :beer:

ill have to look into this more, quick google search I found places around here that say they will wash, clay, 1 stage polish and opti a large truck/suv for $500
That's more like it. Good luck if you decide to go with it!

Here's a little video of the finished product for people who want to see it better. Not my car or the detailer I used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDOFvbtE4PQ

Vegasgold

Established Member
Make sure it is opticoat pro or opticoat pro plus. Some old versions of opticoat 2.0 is still on the market and not the same as the above mentioned. Ask for the 5 year warranty product.

Users who are viewing this thread