OPM Investigators

Fuerza

Established Member
Is anyone an OPM investigator? I was offered a job as one today but I'm curious about the ins and outs. The guy I spoke to is a contracted investor for the Office of Personal Management. Their duties are to conduct interviews for govt agencies in regards to required background checks, security clearances ect. It seems pretty simple but requires travel ect.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
While I was not and OPM Investigator, I'm familiar with the position. Yes, they do background investigations, visit listed a d non-listed references, school records, police checks, etc. The position does involve a lot of travel but usually only within a designated area. The investigations are coordinated and you will only do what is asked of you in your physical area. It becomes routine but you always need to ask the right questions and be alert to your "gut" feeling. They contract out so you are responsible for paying your own taxes, social security, etc., as you will probably be paid on a 1099; I was as a contract Federal employee after I retired.

Good luck. You want to remember that a lot of people these days do have some things in their background they would not like to have come to light. Hope this helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread