Opinions welcome

mbreaux05

Established Member
Recently made a pretty large purchase through jayman, and want some opinions on how to handle the next performance upgrade.

I ordered koni str.t shocks/struts, gt 500 strut mounts, hotchkis lowering springs, bmr adj panhard bar, and vossen cv7s on proxes 4+ From jayman already.

Next I am looking to go performance.

I know that I will be getting the mgw shifter and a tune from Shaun at AED.

Here is my question. I currently have borla s type catback system, and want to do O/r H or cat deletes with the already installed borla X, before I order my tune from Shaun.

I love the borla sound as is, but a little louder wouldn't hurt. So would an O/R H yield more HP, better sound, or would the cat deletes be the way to go??

If anyone has sound clips of a similar set up, I'm all ears!

So, what would you do in my situation?

Nuar

Established Member
offroad H and cat deleted essentially do the same thing man.
The offroad H will be a full replacement from the header connection to the catback.
The cat deletes will only remove the original catalytic converters, while keeping your original H pipe section still on the car.
If money is not too much of an issue, I would just do the whole offroad H (and not aluminized steel as that will rust over time)

mbreaux05

Established Member
Yeah I understand how it works. I was just curious if the borla X pipe with cat deletes will yield the same HP (and good sound quality) over a full O/R H.

Essentially, itll be an O/R H vs O/R X

turd burglar

Established Member
X yields SLIGHTLY higher hp than an h due to flow efficiency, but it's almost negligible. H has a deeper, throatier tone, while an x pipe has a raspier pitch to it

Nuar

Established Member
x=rasp
h=deep rumble

You will not see any noticeable horse power increase with the x vs the h. It all comes down to the sound that you are looking for.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I like how you went suspension first...I did the same, along with CV-7's (BADASS WHEEL)...anyway, keep in mind that with an O/R mid and Borla combo, it will be pretty damn loud and you may lose a good deal of sound refinement, meaning it will be raspier, especially with an X. I would search for sound clips to make sure thats what you want.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Adding the larger diameter midpipe will help keep the volume of the exhaust down a little over just doing cat deletes. I have cat deletes on my car, and it's slightly louder and not as deep as someone that has my same exhaust setup, except they have a larger (3") diameter H-pipe.

The Borlas will sound good with an ORH. If it's too loud for you still, you can always replace the factory resonators with a set of Dynomax bullet mufflers. That will help bring the volume back down to non-drony levels.

thekanezzi

Established Member
I had the borla and o/r h pipe combo and it was crazy loud. I swapped them with gt500s and now the volume and tone is great.

ExTurbo

Established Member
Did the same thing, went with the FRPP adjustable suspension and P springs, new wheels and tires, then started to add power. The off road h/x pipe will definitely add some power and increase the sound levels, id do shifter if you are a manual, i love mine, drove a stock car the other day and it felt like a limp noodle in my hand lol

Zevox

Established Member
My friend is running cat deletes, dynomax race bullets where the stock resonators went, and no axle back mufflers with quad tips. When he had the stock H it crackled and popped pretty bad. When he switched to the BBK X it quieted of down and cut a lot of the cracks and pops out.

I know a few other guys with cat deletes and custom made X pipes with full custom cat backs and they all sound good All of these guys cars are very loud though, but none of them really sound raspy to me.

Another friend has some Magnaflow competition catbacks with an O/R X and it is quiet but so sexy sounding. He is running twin turbos though... If all else fails and your exhaust is too loud for you that's a good way to tone it down!

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I found the H to be too blatty. I like deep rumble WAY more than rasp, but I switched from the H to the X and I like it a lot better. It's not like the H is a smooth deep rumble, or I think everyone would go with it. BTW I went from a lethal h to the lethal x, so it's a pretty consistent comparison.

mbreaux05

Established Member
I'm okay with louder, I just don't want quality to diminish. I'd like for the exhaust to be louder (minus 5am cold start, it's pretty loud there) while driving.

I've only seen 1 vid of the lethal O/R H with borla catback. Plus I know videos don't do justice.

Was hoping someone heard that set up in person and could give their opinion.

Also, I have borla OTA pipes, so no resonators.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I had the Lethal O/R H and O/R X with my borla touring A/B and EVERYBODY said "OMG that's LOUD". I like some volume, but it is LOUD

Users who are viewing this thread