Opinions wanted: Magnaflow or Steeda catbacks?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Couldn't find what I was looking for in the Search:

I know the Steeda is all stainless - is that true for Magnaflow 15644 also?

I do not want a boy racer sound - I want a nice, muscular idle note without being a motorboat.

I would prefer not to have the 2000 rpm drone which I have had with all the Borlas I have owned on other cars(Steeda is Borla, correct?)

What about fit - experiences with having to tweak either system to fit.

Appreciate any and all replies.

silvercoffin

Established Member
bassani/magnaflow

I have heard Bassani and Magnaflow both on 01 and 02 gts

Magna flow is a lower more growl kind of sound

Bassani is also low but has a little more raspy sound

Personally.......hehehe once i run a 12 STOCK ok well maybe with k+N heheh then I will probably be treating myself to the bassani.......just not sure if I want to do the x pipe again too.

silvercoffin

Established Member
borla too

oh yeah i have heard borla right next to the bassani too.....hard to decribe the difference, but the bassani was louder less muffled...that was with the baffles out.

oh yeah

magnoflow has a hole in each pipe

bassani once you take out the baffles has the small hole for the allen screw that hold the baffles in...not sure why the magnaflow has the hole cause it doesnt come with removable baffles

SVTyballz

Established Member
Dynomax catback #19314. I know ..........it's not one of the choices but I had to chime in here. I would post a clip, but the mic on my laptop didn't want to work today. Should have something tomorrow or Sunday. There is a clip here: http://www.minutemufflerandbrake.com/sound.htm But it's not what mine sounds like. Just the catback on my car sounds deeper. After the long tubes and x-pipe, I'll probably be closer to the sound in that clip.

gary

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Re: borla too

Originally posted by silvercoffin
......not sure why the magnaflow has the hole cause it doesnt come with removable baffles

The hole in each Magnaflow tip is there because *I think* if someone wanted to insert a pair of baffles, they may do so.
(I thought I heard about someone using the Bassani baffles in the Magnaflow tips without any clearance problems,etc).

Just some food for thought. :-D

silvercoffin

Established Member
ok not quite what you were looking for but..

Bassani
My fav. low but not too low raspy unique sound..pretty loud without baffles but still no drone!

Borla
Heard it on my friend 99 ssaleen...simliar to bassani but quiter more muffled sound

Mac
I love it but not the best construction quality... Lower than Bassani without the raspy quality

Magna FLow
Nice not as loud as bassani but lower pitched. in my opinion to low

Glass Packs!
AWESOME! but lous as hell and dont last

hmmmm what else have i heard

FLowmasters
nice but not as good quality
more throaty??? than bassani and maganflow but not as low as magnaflow hehehe........

Thats all ive really payed attention to

My fav is still bassani with Mac being close second interms of sound but its the MAC quality that bothers me.

so my fav list

#1 Bassani
#2 Magnaflow
#3 MAC

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: borla too

Originally posted by COBRA90GT
The hole in each Magnaflow tip is there because *I think* if someone wanted to insert a pair of baffles, they may do so.
(I thought I heard about someone using the Bassani baffles in the Magnaflow tips without any clearance problems,etc).

Just some food for thought. :-D
Sorry to pull this thread from the coffin, but what you said about the bassani baffles in the magnaflow tips is the only thing I could find on multiple searches.

Do you remember where you saw that? I am severely in need of baffles for my magnaflow exhaust. If another bassani baffle will fit I will try it! HELP! PLEASE!

darkhorse

Established Member
Glenn, I have the Magna Flow X pipe and catback and it sounds sweet. Nice deep roar but not obnoxious while driving. Sounds a little like a den of lions. When you get up on it, they really get pissed off.
The pieces go on easily and fit nice and snug. The tips required a little bit of manipulating so take the rubber brackets off first, conect the tips to the exhaust and then bolt in the brackets and make the required adjustments before tightening. The finish is very good quality. :thumbsup:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: borla too

Originally posted by 03DOHC
Sorry to pull this thread from the coffin, but what you said about the bassani baffles in the magnaflow tips is the only thing I could find on multiple searches.

Do you remember where you saw that? I am severely in need of baffles for my magnaflow exhaust. If another bassani baffle will fit I will try it! HELP! PLEASE!

I think I remember "San Man" over on Stangnet using these baffles. (I could be mistaken). Also, try a search over on Corral as well as Stangnet for "baffles" or something similar, should be able to find something there.....goodluck.

:thumbsup:

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: borla too

Originally posted by COBRA90GT
I think I remember "San Man" over on Stangnet using these baffles. (I could be mistaken). Also, try a search over on Corral as well as Stangnet for "baffles" or something similar, should be able to find something there.....goodluck.

:thumbsup:
I didn't try stangnet. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread